Randomized MAC: Connected without internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-25 10:12:44
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

Hello

• I have Wi-Fi router TP-Link Archer C7
  • I have Samsung S9 smartphone with "Randomized MAC" feature ON.

Today morning I tried to connect to my router, but despite on all other gadgets, my phone has no internet. I checked that I get IP, mask, GW. So my phone successfully connected to router. I decided to check phone feature and was 2 options for MAC mode:

• Randomized MAC
  • Phone MAC

I selected option Phone MAC and reconnect to router. The access to internet appears.

Questions:

• Why my phone worked more than 2 month in the Randomized MAC mode and now doesn't do it?
  • How to set up router to still use Randomized MAC feature?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Randomized MAC: Connected without internet
2022-06-26 08:18:07

@Follet 

Randomized MAC feature is a client device feature, it's not connected with the way your router works.

The behavior you are describing can be a result from configuring one of the router's features like:

'Access Control' (Whitelist) or 'IP & MAC Binding'. Check your router's configuration for any of these to see if that's the cause.

Your C7 should work with any device with Randomized MAC, unless you have configured MAC address restrictions on your router.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-06-26 12:42:53

@terziyski 

Thank you for reply.

I checked:

• The Access Control feature is turned off. It means there are not any rules to block something.
  • I have only 2 MAC binding records for laptop and other device, but this devices have different type.

I tried reconnect WIFI using Randomizing MAC feature again (I reboot my smartphone and router) It doesn't take effect.

It will be good, if this restriction displayed in the log, but there are no records regarding this issue.

Options
2022-06-26 13:45:28 - last edited 2022-06-27 05:53:46

@Follet 

Have you compared the IP address of your phone with and without Randomized MAC address ? Is there any difference ?

Try to forget the wireless network on your phone and add it again. Does that make any difference ?

Do you have any other network devices in your network besides Archer C7 (ISP modem/router, range extenders etc.) ?

If you used you phone with Randomized MAC address successfully so far then something must have been changed in your configuration.

If you can't find the reason for this behavior, the last resort action would be to reset the C7 to factory defaults and re-configure from scratch.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-06-26 16:18:49

@terziyski 

Sure something changed, but I do not know what.

• Parental Controls turned off too
  • Other network devices works well

Very interesting fact: another phone with Randomized MAC works well and in this time my phone connects with no internet access.

So, two phones with similiar settings, one works well another no. I still investigate this issue.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 2100

Replies: 4

Related Articles