DHCP Reservation not functioning

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-15 13:46:08 - last edited 2022-08-02 06:07:35
Tags: #DHCP
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1

So I now have 2 devices where the DHCP reservation did NOT work.  I have an EPSON printer that I have a reservation set to.  When the printer is turned on, it gets a new IP address regardless of the fact that I have that MAC set up to have a reserved IP address.  

I had a similar issue with my other network printer which is a Brother.  

I do not believe they have random MAC available to them in their firmware so not sure why this is happening in SDN mode.  I also read that folks are having issues in stand alone mode as well. 

Not sure whats up with this feature.  

I would love to use it versus setting everything to static.  Is it possible this does not work on VLAN items that are outside the management vlan?  All my home stuff is on VLAN 30, my IOT stuff is VLAN 10 and my guests are on VLAN 20.  I left the TP-LINK hardware on the native VLAN which is 1 of course.  

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:DHCP Reservation not functioning-Solution
2022-07-27 10:23:22 - last edited 2022-08-02 06:07:35

Dear @Fleegle61, @NotYoNetwork, @Libik,

Fleegle61 wrote

So I now have 2 devices where the DHCP reservation did NOT work.  I have an EPSON printer that I have a reservation set to.  When the printer is turned on, it gets a new IP address regardless of the fact that I have that MAC set up to have a reserved IP address.  

Sorry for any trouble caused. The issue has been reported to the R&D team for further troubleshooting and investigation, and it's now addressed. The following solution post has provided the Beta firmware to fix the issue.

Solution  ER605 ER7206 - “Use Fixed IP Address” (DHCP Reservation) Doesn't Take Effect

Thank you all for your huge support and patience!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:DHCP Reservation not functioning
2022-07-15 14:01:49

@Fleegle61 Do your devices get random IPs in the right subnet, or from the VLAN1 subnet?  Also do you have just the ER-605 or also a managed switch?

My guess is you have them connected to a port that has more than 1 untagged VLAN associated with it, and the router is favouring VLAN1...for which there is no IP reservation for your device present.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2022-07-15 14:58:18

@d0ugmac1 its getting IP's from VLAN 30 as it should but just not from the reservation.   Something is missing during the DORA that has the router not handing out the reserved address.  Not sure if the MAC address is getting lost or that the function is just flat out not looking at the reservation table to see that MAC is already set up with a reserved IP address

The one printer is hard wired and the switch port (its a TL2210) is set only to VLAN 30

The other printer is attached to an AP with and that AP is attached to a TL2008.  The port on the switch is set to ALL since all my VLANS can come in from that AP which is a 225.  The unique SSID is set to VLAN 30 so when that printer goes to get its IP address, the router should see that coming in from VLAN 30, see its MAC and know its reserved in VLAN 30 and just hand it back out.   

As noted...I had to change those printers to static for now

The rest...I dont care to reserve and just let DHCP do its thing for our phones and laptops.  

I may have also had a IP camera do the same thing.  I will try shutting them down, let them lose the lease and then power back up.  I expect the same behavior there as well

Options
2022-07-18 07:34:03

Fleegle61 wrote

I had a similar issue with my other network printer which is a Brother.  

I do not believe they have random MAC available to them in their firmware so not sure why this is happening in SDN mode.  I also read that folks are having issues in stand alone mode as well. 

Not sure whats up with this feature.  

I would love to use it versus setting everything to static.  Is it possible this does not work on VLAN items that are outside the management vlan?  All my home stuff is on VLAN 30, my IOT stuff is VLAN 10 and my guests are on VLAN 20.  I left the TP-LINK hardware on the native VLAN which is 1 of course.  

Hi  @Fleegle61 

Could you please check the device MAC address(find it from device label or from printer interface if it has one), if that is the same MAC address as Omada Controller shown in the Client list.  

Also try delete all DHCP reservation rules under Controller Settings-->Service. Then try set up Fixed IP on Client list again

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-07-18 18:10:49

@Hank21 I have been reading the forums and appears @Fae has a couple tickets open on this issue. Appears to have started with 1.2.1 release on the gateway.  

So I dont believe that deleting the reservations and putting them back in will make much of a difference.  Other folks on the forum have already attempted that.  My printers do not use random MAC since they are a bit older and do not support that function.  Of course my cellphone does but I leave that unreserved.  No need to reserve that unless I was to set my phone up not to do random mac, but that defeats the purpose of security. 

Let see what comes up shortly and if there will be a 1.2.2 or later release that fixes this

For not I have set both my printers to static, out of the DHCP range, just so things are stable.  

Options
2022-07-20 16:54:36 - last edited 2022-07-20 17:02:57

Same problem for me. Linux Omada Controller 5.3.1 with ER605 v1 with FW 1.2.1. Only one VLAN. My Linux Virtual Machine with Omada Controller does not get fixed IP Address. Reboot of router help me but I do not think that it is good solution.

It happens to me that this Linux VM was shutdown for over a longer time (ER605 was normally working) and after turning on this VM it gets different IP address.

Options
Re:DHCP Reservation not functioning-Solution
2022-07-27 10:23:22 - last edited 2022-08-02 06:07:35

Dear @Fleegle61, @NotYoNetwork, @Libik,

Fleegle61 wrote

Sorry for any trouble caused. The issue has been reported to the R&D team for further troubleshooting and investigation, and it's now addressed. The following solution post has provided the Beta firmware to fix the issue.

Solution  ER605 ER7206 - “Use Fixed IP Address” (DHCP Reservation) Doesn't Take Effect

Thank you all for your huge support and patience!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 522

Replies: 7

Tags

DHCP