Phone's connectivity issues after being inactive - Deco X60

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-15 18:56:20
Tags: #inactivity
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.9 Build 20211228 Rel. 55234

I've recently bought a 2-deco X60 pack and I'm having connectivity issues with mobile devices (phones and tablets).

By now this happened with the 3 phones and the tablet that had been connected to the WIFI since I bought the Decos.

No issues appeared with desktop computers or notebooks (even while having the issues with a phone).

My setup is pretty simple:

- Modem-Router from my internet provider (Sagemcom F@ST 3890).

- X60 deco master connected to the modem by cable.

- Second X60 15 mts away.

As soon as a phone connects to the network, everything works fine. Connection is stable. Speed is perfect.

After a couple of minutes of not using the phone (so, being inactive and not consuming WIFI), the phone seems to "disconnect" from the network.

With this I mean the following:
- WIFI Signal seems to be fine (I have all the "lines").

- No message or app notification are received.

- Can't navigate through any app that requires internet, things basically don't load.

- Using a speed tester app, I can verify that the connection has massive latency (+120 ms), download speed is at 0.2 mbps, and pretty much the same to upload speed.

Disconnecting the phone from the wifi and connecting it again seems to "solve" the problem, and internet starts to work fine again.

How can I solve the issue? I don't want to be all the time re-connecting to the wifi sad

Tried changing the dynamic IP to static as I found in some thread, but that did not work.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Phone's connectivity issues after being inactive - Deco X60
2022-07-16 00:21:19 - last edited 2022-07-16 00:22:43

@Mandioca 

It would help TP-Link Support if you can share brands and models of your smartphones and tablet that have issues with Deco mesh. Perhaps, TP-Link Support is already aware of it as a known issue for a specific brand and model of mobile device.

I will give you basic troubleshooting steps, please try them in order I list. If at any step problem disappears, you can stop there. 

Switch Deco mesh to Access Point mode

For that to work, keep Sagemcom F@ST 3890 in its default Router configuration. The purpose of Access Point mode is to disable all Deco mesh settings other than its WiFi, to see if maybe one of settings is causing the issue. See How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode

Turn off WiFi in Sagemcom F@ST 3890, if you left it on

This is to make sure your smartphones and tablet do not try to switch between two different independent WiFi networks, and connect to Deco WiFi only.

Turn off 2.4GHz in Deco Main Network

This is to make sure Deco mesh band steering is not confusing your mobile devices, and ensure they run on fastest possible WiFi protocol.

If you've done all these steps and problem didn't go away, I'll have one more step for you to try.

Options
2022-07-17 17:46:39

@Alexandre. First of all thanks a lot for answering!

I am interested by the first thing you said, about phones brands and model.

All the phones we tried before I published the thread were Xiaomi (mine is 9T pro), and the tablet is a generic branded one.

My girlfriend got an iPhone 13 two days ago and this issue does not happen to her phone, so I guess it's all brand related.

By the way, I tried the three things you said and none of them worked.

Do you know where I can check if there is an open bug with a certain mobile phone?

Thanks!

Options
2022-07-18 12:56:19 - last edited 2022-07-18 12:57:14

@Mandioca 

There is an issue discussed on this forum, between Samsung A53 and Deco mesh. The symptoms are different, but it appears there might be some sort of incompatibiliy between how Deco mesh impements WiFi5/WiFi6 standard and device expectations how it should be implemented.

The workaround for Samsung A53 is to force it use WiFi 2.4GHz only. 

You could try that workaround. It is, indeed, workaround, not a solution. For smartphones, 2.4GHz usually is more than enough, and for not demanding tablet 2.4GHz speeds could be fine, too.

The idea is to enable Deco Guest Network, configure it to run on 2.4GHz only, make problematic devices forget Main Network SSID and force them connect to Guest Network SSID. Here is screenshot of my Deco mesh WiFi settings, with that workaround:

Note that you can keep Main Network 2.4GHz on if you need to. I turned it off for my house, because with Deco mesh I have good 5GHz coverage everywhere.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 657

Replies: 3

Tags

inactivity
Related Articles