Bridge to 3BB Huawei ONT

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Bridge to 3BB Huawei ONT

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Bridge to 3BB Huawei ONT
Bridge to 3BB Huawei ONT
2022-07-19 07:20:09 - last edited 2022-07-19 08:20:35
Model: Archer MR600  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I need a networking solution.  I have 3BB Huawei ONT providing my home internet and TV downstairs.  I have a simple home network to connect by wireless upstairs that contains a Dell XPS desktop, Synology DS218j NAS and a TP-Link MR600 to connect them.

1. The Huawei ONT has been configured for bridge mode

2. The MR600 only had Mesh option, no true bridge mode

3. I can only connect to the internet by using the wireless connection in the Dell PC, all attempts to connect by the MR600 in Router or Wireless mode have been unsuccessful.

4. The Synology NAS can be accessed locally but does not see the internet

5. I have been told I need an AP or repeater but I don't believe either one is the correct solution as signal strength is not a concern, and a repeater is not a bridge.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Bridge to 3BB Huawei ONT
2022-07-21 06:22:45

@oiler1fan 

Hi, do you mean the MR600 is connected to Huawei ONT via Ethernet cable but no internet access? does your Huawei ONT provide both Ethernet connection and also WiFi connection to client devices?

Besides, the NAS is connected to Huawei ONT or MR600? if you connect a computer to the Huawei ONT directly, do you have internet access?

Options
2022-07-21 06:43:01

@Sunshine Attempting to connect MR600 upstairs to Huawei ONT downstairs by wireless.  ONT supports both Ethernet and wireless.  Synology NAS connected to MR600 along with Dell desktop.  Desktop to ONT by wireless is no problem.

Options
2022-07-21 06:56:24 - last edited 2022-07-21 06:57:07

@oiler1fan 

Hi, thank you very much for the quick reply.

As you can see, the MR600 supports 3G/4G Router mode and Wireless Router mode, the 3G/4G Router mode needs to work with a SIM card to get internet access, while the Wireless Router mode needs to connect to internet source via Ethernet cable on WAN port.

Therefore, if you would like to connect it to your existing Huawei ONT router wirelessly, the MR600 will not work because MR600 doesn't support to connect another router wirelessly. 

Instead, you will need a range extender which could connect wirelessly to your exiting ONT router, then connect NAS and Dell desktop to range extender via wireless or wired connection.

Options
2022-07-21 07:21:14

@Sunshine you are the first tell me that wireless mode requires an Ethernet connection so clearly that's the root cause of the problem.  Does your solution of using an extender route all traffic to the ONT or the NAS and desktop can see each other on the extender and use DHCP from there?  This is an important point as I map folders from the NAS to the desktop.

Options
2022-07-22 08:20:31

@oiler1fan 

oiler1fan wrote

@Sunshine you are the first tell me that wireless mode requires an Ethernet connection so clearly that's the root cause of the problem.  Does your solution of using an extender route all traffic to the ONT or the NAS and desktop can see each other on the extender and use DHCP from there?  This is an important point as I map folders from the NAS to the desktop.

Yes, after connecting a range extender wirelessly to the ONT, the devices connected to ONT and the extender are still in the same subnet as they still obtain IP address from the ONT.

Options
2022-07-22 11:03:19

@Sunshine Confused.  So if all devices are taking their IP address from the ONT in this scenario, why do I need a range extender at all?  I have no signal strength problems and all devices can connect to the ONT independently - but I must be sure the NAS can map folders to my desktop if not using a router with LAN connection to both.

Options
2022-07-25 02:09:36

oiler1fan wrote

@Sunshine Confused.  So if all devices are taking their IP address from the ONT in this scenario, why do I need a range extender at all?  I have no signal strength problems and all devices can connect to the ONT independently - but I must be sure the NAS can map folders to my desktop if not using a router with LAN connection to both.

@oiler1fan 

Hi, when you connect both NAS and desktop to your ONT, are you able to map folders to the desktop?

If not, is there any additional requirements for your NAS to map folders to desktop?

Range extender is usually used to extend the WiFi range, so if indeed the ONT WiFi coverage is enough, the range extender is not necessary.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 521

Replies: 7

Related Articles