Should I use my routers ssid for the deco in access point mode, so the router also gives wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Should I use my routers ssid for the deco in access point mode, so the router also gives wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-24 07:52:38 - last edited 2022-07-24 17:24:30
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I was wondering, when in access point mode, should I make my ssid the same as my current router, so that the router would also continue to give wifi? Or would this just ruin the ideia of a mesh, as I suppose you always have to have one deco right beside the router.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Should I use my routers ssid for the deco in access point mode, so the router also gives wifi-Solution
2022-07-24 14:15:06 - last edited 2022-07-24 17:24:30

@THEJEFFBIGUY 

I run my Deco mesh in Access Point mode. My ISP Router runs in its default router mode. I turned off router WiFi. 

I had to use an air vent to pass Ethernet cable from the basement to the middle of the first floor. A bit of luck (the air vent at the right place) and I now have Main Deco in the middle of the house. As you may know, Satellite Deco prefers connecting to Main Deco, so placing Main Deco in the middle of the house saved me from problems other people shared on this forum, which is Satellite Deco tries connecting to faraway Main Deco with weak signal instead of another Satellite Deco with stronger WiFi signal.

You got me with basement WiFi coverage. Yes, initially I thought I would be fine, but then I made that part of the basement into workshop and wanted good WiFi coverage there, too. So, I bought additional single Deco node, connected it to Ethernet port of ISP router and that added WiFi coverage where I needed. 

As such, at my house, Deco node connected directly to ISP Router is Satellite Deco. Main Deco is one floor (and one networking switch) away from ISP Router. All Satellite Decos that are not Ethernet wired connect by WiFi to Main Deco, which is placed ideally for that purpose.

You can only do that with Deco mesh running in Access Point mode.

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Should I use my routers ssid for the deco in access point mode, so the router also gives wifi
2022-07-24 12:19:29

@THEJEFFBIGUY 

When you have Deco mesh at your house, it makes sense to turn off your router WiFi. Not only having router WiFi with same SSID ruins idea of mesh, as you correctly pointed, but also you will have two independent WiFi networks interfering with each other.

I would recommend running Deco Main Network with same SSID/password as your original router. By doing that, most if not all your devices using WiFi should seamlessly reconnect to Deco mesh after you turned off router WiFi.

When you run Deco in Access Point mode, you do not have to have Main Deco right beside the router, if your house is Ethernet wired. At my house I have cable Internet. ISP router sits at entry point of coaxial cable to the house. It is in the far corner of the basement. From there, an Ethernet cable goes to the middle of the first floor, and this is where my Main Deco is.

Of course, if your place is not wired with Ethernet cables, you will have no choice but connect Main Deco directly to the router.

Options
Re:Should I use my routers ssid for the deco in access point mode, so the router also gives wifi
2022-07-24 13:14:25

@Alexandre. 

Hi,

Thanks for your speedy reply. 

Unfortunately, unlike most places in the world, it is an absolute miracle to have ethernet ports in a home in the UK, but it would make us network geeks' life SO much easier.

Just out of curiosity, if you do happen to have the main node away from the router, would the router still operate in that area, as, from your description, you would then theoretically have a dead spot in your basement, if purely the tp links operated?

Thanks

Options
2022-07-24 13:23:02

@Alexandre. 

Hi, I forgot to add, but my isp router, like most places in the uk, is also my modem, and has no bridge mode functionality, therefore making it not a viable option to put it into router mode, unless it bypasses this somehow?

Options
Re:Should I use my routers ssid for the deco in access point mode, so the router also gives wifi-Solution
2022-07-24 14:15:06 - last edited 2022-07-24 17:24:30

@THEJEFFBIGUY 

I run my Deco mesh in Access Point mode. My ISP Router runs in its default router mode. I turned off router WiFi. 

I had to use an air vent to pass Ethernet cable from the basement to the middle of the first floor. A bit of luck (the air vent at the right place) and I now have Main Deco in the middle of the house. As you may know, Satellite Deco prefers connecting to Main Deco, so placing Main Deco in the middle of the house saved me from problems other people shared on this forum, which is Satellite Deco tries connecting to faraway Main Deco with weak signal instead of another Satellite Deco with stronger WiFi signal.

You got me with basement WiFi coverage. Yes, initially I thought I would be fine, but then I made that part of the basement into workshop and wanted good WiFi coverage there, too. So, I bought additional single Deco node, connected it to Ethernet port of ISP router and that added WiFi coverage where I needed. 

As such, at my house, Deco node connected directly to ISP Router is Satellite Deco. Main Deco is one floor (and one networking switch) away from ISP Router. All Satellite Decos that are not Ethernet wired connect by WiFi to Main Deco, which is placed ideally for that purpose.

You can only do that with Deco mesh running in Access Point mode.

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-07-24 14:38:21

@Alexandre. 

Thanks,

Surely this begs the question, why do I have to change the ssid in access point mode, because thats the whole point of router mode? There is then surely no difference between AP mode and router?

Options
2022-07-24 17:27:39

@Alexandre.

Other than security?

Options
2022-07-24 17:28:01
Options
2022-07-24 19:18:32
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1371

Replies: 21