Can Not Add Roku Stick to Wireless Network -

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-07-29 06:00:30 - last edited 2022-08-01 07:11:25
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

I HAVE A MODEL  AC 1750  WIRELESS DUAL BAND ROUTER    ARCHER 7  VERSION 5.0

Apparently it's not listed in your model list so I entered  AC 50.

I've been trying to add my Roku stick HDMI type -  to my TP-Link network and can't find a way to add it. I have a Mac desktop, an iphone and I've tried both ethernet, wifi and it's not showing up in my network. I even tried a Guest network with new name, password and tried Roku with that name and still there is no connection. I get a Roku error message. I use 2.4G and it will not allow me to enter it or connect with the ROKU stick. The wifi address on the stick I entered it but says "wrong format"

I tried it with the dashes and with the two dots and still I can not add Roku to my network.

What's the problem?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can Not Add Roku Stick to Wireless Network - -Solution
2022-07-30 02:07:33 - last edited 2022-08-01 07:11:25

@woozle 

Success! Just after I sent the last reply it dawned on me that the format that Mac uses which is the double dots:  :   and TP Link uses the dashes  -  -  in the address. So, I converted the ROKU address to dashes and saved it and now it works. Whew. 

Had I have known, I would have saved myself hours of frustration. Maybe its a good idea to put that in the instructions for Mac users.   Secondly, I then tried to delete the Guest account and it took several reboots, to get rid of it.  It's very difficult for users to use their account or to make changes easily.  Thanks for your help woozle. 

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Can Not Add Roku Stick to Wireless Network -
2022-07-29 13:13:04

@Digport 

Hi,

So, when you use the Roku Stick's remote control to go to the network setup menu of the Roku, you see a list of available wireless networks that includes the Wi-Fi SSID of your Archer A7's 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi. You select that network using the remote control and enter the correct Wi-Fi password. Then you get an error message. Can you please post the exact wording of the error message that the Roku shows on your TV screen?

I guess the address printed on your Roku Stick is a MAC address. Have you setup access control on your Archer A7 and need to whitelist the Roku Stick and that's when it says "wrong format"?

Can you please also let us know the exact model number of your Roku Stick? Roku has made quite a few devices over the years.

Options
2022-07-29 18:02:29

@Digport 

Yes, I use the Roku remote to set up the network on my TV and I see my wireless networks there, I just see the network name, nothing but the networks, I don't see WiFi SSID of the Archer router, that is not necessary.
So I click on the network on my TV screen enter the password and I get the error message 014.30 which means weak internet, or unreliable network, or poor internet connection. (I looked it up)

The address printed on the Roku stick itself says "Wireless" which I assume I enter it into my Access Control panel and that's where the problem is.

On Access Control, the button is on
Default Access Mode is: white list

Online Devices:  shows
1 mac desktop (one is wifi the other is ethernet)  
and my iphone only.

Devices in White List are:
iphone
desktop wireless
desktop wired is grayed out for some reason ??  ( I use ethernet wired most of the time, at home)

when I click on ADD
I give the device a name and mac address
and it says  INVALID FORMAT

SO I can't enter the ROKU   in the White List section
the format is something like this:  D0:4D:2...and so on...  What format should it be?

The model # of the Roku I don't have it  but it is the basic model been working fine since yesterday. I have the serial number if that helps you.
Yesterday the ISP had a major outage, my internet was down for the day. Now I can't get my printer to connect online or the Roku Stick.

Please help, thank you.

Options
2022-07-29 20:03:11

@Digport 

Ok, so you are using the Access Control feature of the Archer A7 and have not yet added the Roku to the whitelist.

I would think that must be the reason why the Roku is showing error 014.30, because given the above the A7 would block the Roku from accessing anything on the network, including access to the Internet.

Entering the MAC address when adding a device to the A7's Whilelist should be done in the same format as it shows MAC addresses in the table "Online Devices" just above the whitelist, which is 11-22-33-44-55-66 (using the "minus" sign).

By the way, when troubleshooting connection issues of devices it might be a good idea to temporarily disable the Access Control feature. Get the device in question successfully connected without Access Control and after that issue is solved re-enable Access Control and deal with its issues.

Options
Re:Can Not Add Roku Stick to Wireless Network - -Solution
2022-07-30 02:07:33 - last edited 2022-08-01 07:11:25

@woozle 

Success! Just after I sent the last reply it dawned on me that the format that Mac uses which is the double dots:  :   and TP Link uses the dashes  -  -  in the address. So, I converted the ROKU address to dashes and saved it and now it works. Whew. 

Had I have known, I would have saved myself hours of frustration. Maybe its a good idea to put that in the instructions for Mac users.   Secondly, I then tried to delete the Guest account and it took several reboots, to get rid of it.  It's very difficult for users to use their account or to make changes easily.  Thanks for your help woozle. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 408

Replies: 4

Related Articles