Static route error- can't ping server to client

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-10 10:11:28
Tags: #static route
Model: TL-MR6400  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 210803 Rel.55933n

Hi,

I need two routers to communicate by PPTP. The TP-Link router is working as server. The TP-Link network is 192.168.16.0 while the other router (other brand) is responsible for network 192.168.20.0. This network is connected to another network (192.168.180.0). So, my idea is to ping network 180 from network 16. This needs to be done through internet.

Until now I can ping network 16 from network 180 and 20, but cant ping network 180 and 20 from network 16. My suspicion is that the tp link router doesn't know the 20 and 180 network. So, I need to make a route on tp-link side. The thing is the gateway, by what I saw on internet, needs to be the gateway of remote router (network 20). But if I put this gateway an error occurs saying I need the gateway to be on the same network as the device (tp-link). What should I do to ping the network 20 and 180 from network 16?

Thank you

Options
6 Reply
Re:Static route error- can't ping server to client
2022-08-12 02:56:24

@PedroCarvalho 

Hi, when you ping the network 20 and network 180 from network 16, there is at least one or two NATs (The two routers on your VPN Client side), that is why it doesn't work, static route on the network 20 will not be able to solve the problem. 

It is recommended to check if your other router(network 20) supports IPSec VPN, if so, you could consider to configure a site to site IPSec VPN, in which the two sites are identical, instead of one server and one client, then the two sites are able to access each other via the VPN Tunnel.

Options
2022-08-12 09:29:36

@Sunshine Hi, I'm trying the ipsec, but it doesn't work. Doesn't matter the configurations I put the status is always "down". Should the remote gateway be the one that is present in the other routers status page? Or should be the one that is returned when going to "what is my ip" website?

Thanks

Options
2022-08-15 06:26:39

@PedroCarvalho 

Hi, is the router with network 20 your main router? if the WAN/Internet IP address on the router is different from the IP on "what is my IP" website, it means the WAN/Internet IP on the router is a private IP address, and there should be another router in the front.

Besides, for the current IPSec VPN tunnel, the WAN/Internet IP on the TP-Link router is a public IP address, right? If so, for the remote gateway, please enter the one displayed on the other router, if it is still down, please download the latest firmware: on the following website:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/tl-mr6400/v5.2/#Firmware

Then update the firmware locally and test if the IPSec VPN will be up.

Options
2022-08-16 10:35:00

@Sunshine Hi, the firmware version is the most recent. I still have issues with ipsec. I can ping each router by WAN address, but can't ping the private IPs of their LANs.

The ipsec remains down. I'm using a Teltonika in the other side and it says there is an active connection between the routers. But it seems TP-Link doesn't recognize the connection.

Options
2022-08-16 16:17:52

@Sunshine One more thing, I contacted Portugal technical support and they say I needed to ask ISP to give me public IPs to the routers. Until now they were virtual. But still, it doesn't work with public IPs. Here are my configuration in tp-link side. 

Options
2022-08-20 12:51:51

@PedroCarvalho 

Hi, even though the current firmware on the TP-Link is the latest firmware, please still try to download the firmware and update it manually, then check if the IPSec VPN will be up.

In addition, you mean the 4G WAN IP address on this TP-Link router is a public IP address already, and the IP address on the other site is private IP address, right?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 442

Replies: 6

Tags

static route