PLEASE add ability to choose wifi channel manually

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-11 11:46:51 - last edited 2022-08-11 11:51:38
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.6.0

I know this keeps getting asked, and the answer is always along the lines of "the system will automatically choose the best channel, that's the point of having the system, we know best", but it really doesn't. I have conducted some tests because I get problems with some devices when certain 2.4 channels are used. For example, over the past couple of days, I have observed that my system was originally using 2.4 ch10 (this end of the spectrum is definitely the quietest around me, I have several neighbours using ch1). Reboot, it chooses 6. Reboot, it chooses 4. Reboot, 2. Reboot, 4. Reboot, 7. Reboot, 7. This is not rebooting straight away, this is hours apart. Nothing in the surrounding networks changes.

I would really like to force ch11, this gives me the best performance for my 2.4 devices, but I can't, and the system won't choose it. Whatever method it uses to choose the channel, it is flawed, as is clearly shown by the variety of choices it makes each time it is restarted.

If I use the optimise option in the app, it ALWAYS says PERFECT and never changes it. If I use the interference test option in the lab section, it ALWAYS says the network I am on is "experiencing interference. For a better network experience, join a network with less interference". This just plain stupid advice. I'm at home, testing my home network, how can I connect to something else?

Please PLEASE add the option to set the channel. Stop giving patronising responses that the automated system knows best, and just accept the fact that some people understand this stuff, and need this option.

For a similar type of problem, the system ought to be able to sort out which node is best for a device to connect to, but it frequently doesn't do that either, and (I assume in response to people asking for it) you have just added the ability to explicitly set which node a particular device should connect to, and this is BRILLILANT, it has solved another problem I had where my house heating controller would often get switched to a node that gave very poor connection. I can now force that to the node I know it works on, and it is now 100% reliable. We need channel setting for the same reason - the system REALLY DOES NOT ALWAYS GET IT RIGHT.

Options
1 Reply
Re:PLEASE add ability to choose wifi channel manually
2022-08-11 14:14:04

Just to further illustrate the problem - we just had a momentary power cut here, the mesh came back up  and chose Ch1 this time - the absolute worst it could do. I then used the optimise function in the app and it actually said the network was congested and needed changing - the first time I have ever seen it do this. Pressed optimise, it promptly chose ch2, which was still awful. I then rebooted all nodes, and it chose ch9. Much better, but WE NEED CONTROL, it is clearly completely useless at deciding for itself.

Options

Information

Helpful: 6

Views: 269

Replies: 1

Related Articles