PROBLEM - M4 repeat very slow vs main X50 main

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-11 14:36:02 - last edited 2022-08-13 19:46:02
Tags: #Slow speed
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Last

Hello.

I have internet 1GB

My main deco is X50 and it repeats WIFI at 800mb. The M4 satellites (2) do not repeat more than 130mb if they repeat both directly from the main one. If they are "chained", that is, the M4(2) repeats the signal of the m4 (1) which in turn repeats the signal of X50, the speed drops to 70mb. Being connected directly by Wi-Fi to the main one, both receive a strong signal (one full and the other one line less). In both they do not exceed 130/150 which is very frustrating.

I tried to change their place, reset them, activate and deactivate options from the App and I have no way to improve it.

Can anyone know why repetition is so bad?

Thank you!

Options
5 Reply
Re:PROBLEM - M4 repeat very slow vs main X50 main
2022-08-11 21:36:23 - last edited 2022-08-13 19:46:02

@Ruffiomaster 

Hey

There is a couple of things that jump out at me..  Firstly the X50 is a WiFi6 device, the M4 is WiFi5.   WiFI6 is quite considerably faster than 5 with speeds of around 800 being possible, on 5 however you will be limited to around 450 / perhaps 500 due to the older technology.   Even in the best of scenarios you wont get 800 on the M4s due to the older WiFi5 support.

That aside, they should be faster than you are getting..  It sounds like the M4s are conencted via 2.4ghz and not 5ghz connection.  A quick way to cehck this in the Deco app.. select the node you want (one of the M4 ones) and it will show you what master it is connected too, the signal strength and the frequency.    2.4ghz is limited to around 150mbps, where as 5ghz is much faster.   If you are seeing the 2.4 connection on the link between the nodes its likely distance, 5ghz doesnt penetrate walls / blockages perticularly well so the nodes may not be able to use 5ghz.. this will greatly slow you network

Also try running network optimisation in the app to change channels, can sometimes help to find clean air.

Gut feeling is its the distance between the nodes.. its just too much for 5ghz so its on 2.4ghz mode and that drops the speed to what you are seeing..

Options
2022-08-13 19:56:50
Dear. Thank you very much for your time and patience in explaining possible solutions to the problem. Unfortunately no luck. I tried in 5hz and it gives 160mb. At 2.4hz it gives 99mb. Always remembering that the speed of the main Deco x50 is 700mb. It is a lot of difference and both are very close. The DECO application has no possibility to configure the M4, only some options. Previously I had 100mb contracted and they were fine, but now with 1000mb they don't work. The strange thing is that a friend has the network of 3 M4 (1000mb) and gives him 600mb for one and 300 for the second. It's like my M4s are speed limited. I restarted and reset but still the same. I'll keep trying. Anyway, thank you again for your response and the time you took. Thank you
Options
2022-08-15 19:37:58

@Ruffiomaster 

What your friend has is almost ideal result. Properly placed set of three Deco M4 should deliver 400-600Mbps on Main Deco, half of that, 200-300Mbps on first Satellite and 100-150Mbps on second Satellite that is connected to first Satellite.

Here is an idea: exclude X50 from your Deco mesh. Promote your second Satellite M4 to Main, here is how: Changing the Main Unit for your Mesh Network. Power off and disconnect X50 from Ethernet cable, bring new Main M4 where X50 is and connect it there to same Ethernet cable.

Run speed tests on Deco mesh with just two M4 online. If you are now getting speeds your friend does, there will be options to consider.

Options
2022-08-16 01:02:34
Thank you very much for your time and for your contribution. I did what you suggested. The speed improved to 380mb the main one and 130 the second one. I tried both M4r as mains and neither got over 390mb. In the specifications it says that it should reach 800mb, which is strange since the X50 does arrive, so it is not a router problem, it is the TPlink. The ethernet cable is Category 8 so it is suitable for that speed, I think maybe the speed specified by TPlink is misleading. There is no other explanation. Thank you very much for your concern and your time to solve this problem. There really isn't much to do anymore. Greetings and thanks again. Regards from Argentina.
Options
2022-08-16 21:29:51

@Ruffiomaster 

Hey

Just to clarify your findings, remember that the X50 and the M4 are VERY different devices, the results you are seeing of 380mbps is what would be expected for an AC (WiFi5) device like the M4, with little interference you could push this to 450 but that would really be your absolute maximum.   

When vendors claim 800mbps on WiFi, thats only the theoretical maximum, its a bit like your cars claim for MPG, in the real world you will never get that.  Usually, 40-60% of the claimed speed is normal, therefore 390mbps om the M4 devices isnt anything unexpected.  The specifications may say 800, you will never get that!   This is not a TP Link thing, its just the reality of WiFi communications, all vendors are the same.

The Deco X50 in comparison is an AX (Wifi6) device so claims to get over 2400mbps, in reality, this is likely around 1000 in real world speeds and getting 600mbps from this over WiFi will be possible. 

Honestly, if you have internet speeds over 500mbps then you need to be running all WiFi6 deco (the X range).   The M4 with its WiFi5 simply wont be capable of the speeds you need.  You should consider replacing the M4s with X range devices if you really want to get the full internet speed around all nodes.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 579

Replies: 5

Tags

Slow speed