Overheating

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Overheating

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Overheating
Overheating
2022-08-14 13:49:28
Tags: #Overheating
Model: TL-WPA8631P  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.0.1 Build 20220330 Rel.52768

Hi all,

Since the issues with smart DHCP were resolved with the latest firmware of my device, connection stability has greatly improved.
Many thanks for that.
I have a new issue however, with overheating. I live in the UK and currently we are having a mega heatwave. It's seriously hot (for the UK) and my device keeps randomly disconnecting from the Homeplug network when it gets too hot. It does seem to recover after a couple of minutes but once it has done it once, it does it regularly afterwards.

Rebooting doesn't help. But, if I point a fan at the ventilation holes for a couple of minutes, it cools it down enough to run uninterrupted for several hours until it finally overheats again. And when I say hot, it does get very hot to the touch. Not "oven glove" hot but hot enough to be uncomfortable to hold with bare hands for more than a minute or so.

My device is in an open room, not behind any furniture or in a cupboard.

Now ambient temperature is not usually an issue (in the UK) but I have had this happen before when using the passthrough power socket for another device causing it to overheat. So to remedy this, I just don't use the passthrough power socket any more.

I realise that without physically modifying my device, nothing can really be done about overheating when the ambient room temp is too high but I wonder if other end users in warmer climates (warmer than the UK) have had similar issues?

These devices could benefit from improved thermal management, larger ventilation holes or slots perhaps? Particularly for those devices with passthrough power sockets maybe passive cooling isn't enough? Just a suggestion.

Cheers

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 275

Replies: 0

Tags

Overheating
Related Articles