Archer AX72 - Smart Connect not very smart, choosing congested 5GHz channel.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-15 11:07:52
Model: Archer AX72  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.2 (20220520 rel 75663)

Just setup an Archer AX72 in my house, and I have had major frustration with Smart Connect for Wi-FI.

2.4GHz network setup is fine, but in 5GHz Smart Connect keeps using Channel 36, even with other devices nearby on the same channel, and refuses to use any other channel. This has meant that my 5GHz signal throughout the house is absolutely terrible. The only way to change the channel is to disable Smart Connect, which I have done and then performed some investigation to choose a new channel that gives me the best signal throughout the house for 5GHz.

I find switching between the lower channels (36-48) works, but the signal strength/throughput is still terrible, if I try selecting the lower DFS channels (56-64) they seem to work, but take a while to start broadcasting, and again signal strength is not good. Choosing the higher DFS channels (100-136) is impossible, I select them in the GUI interface but they never start broadcasting, I have tried disabling and re-enabling the radio but they still do not show up. Strangely the only channel I can get working is 140, and this gives me the best signal strength in the house.

Another strange anomaly with 5GHz is that I need to keep Channel Width at 20MHz, if I try setting it to 40MHz on any available channel then the radio stops broadcasting, and I need to reset it back to 'auto' for it to re-appear.

Using a Wi-Fi tool, I can see there are 2 others in the close area broadcasting in the DFS range, using 40MHz, so plenty of space available for my broadcast without any interference.

I'm assuming that because I have kept the same SSID between the two radios, then it is now down to the client to choose either 2.4 or 5GHz rather than the router steering devices to a particular radio. Does this mean then that if I do decide to use OneMesh by adding an extender, it won't work properly as the Mesh network will not steer devices to the correct radio that gives the best signal strength. Does OneMesh require the use of Smart Connect?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer AX72 - Smart Connect not very smart, choosing congested 5GHz channel.
2022-08-15 17:58:36

@gjmartin 

Hi,

I am unable to answer all of your questions, but I will try to explain some of the "strange" things you've experienced with the 5 GHz band.

In most countries the regulations for the 5 GHz band mandate that before using DFS channels the router must first monitor the channels to be used for the presence of radar signals.

In the "EU" region, for DFS channels 52 to 64 that period is defined as "at least 60 seconds". In the channel range from 100 to 140 it is also 60 seconds for channels not used by weather radar and 10 minutes (not a typo!) for channels that operate on frequencies usually used by weather radar.

My guess is that when you felt like the router never started broadcasting you probably used one of those channels and just hadn't waited long enough.

The channel you select in the router's configuration webpage is the "control channel". If you select a channel width of greater than 20 MHz, then additional adjacent channels will be occupied as well.

Regarding signal strength.

In case your Archer AX72 is an "(EU)" version (check on the label underneath the router), then your observations would make sense.

According to the EU regulations on channels 36 to 64 the transmit power (as emitted by the antennas) must not exceed 200 mW, while on channels 100 to 140 the transmit power must not exceed 1000 mW.

Of course we don't know how much of the permitted power levels the AX72 actually uses, but expect the signal on channels 100 to 140 to be stronger than on channels 36 to 64.

Options
Re:Archer AX72 - Smart Connect not very smart, choosing congested 5GHz channel.
2022-08-16 09:48:12

@woozle 

Yes, I'm in the UK, so using an EU version router.

Thanks for the great explanation of the DFS Channels, I did do some reading up, but it was mostly about events occurring on an already established broadcast, i.e. when an event is detected the router will switch the broadcast to a different channel and then there is the wait time (up to 30 minutes) before it tries to reestablish on the DFS channel.

What you now say makes sense on why it was taking so long to see any broadcast on some channels. Ch 140 is obviously not used for Weather, as that channel comes up quite quickly, and gives me better coverage in the worst room in the house. And with the details on the transmit power, that also makes sense, in the worst room using lower channels I'm getting roughly RSSI -87 on 5GHz, switching to CH 140 that goes to -62, and becomes more stable.

I may investigate a Mesh or OneMesh type system, as I have a hard-wired point that I could use as an Ethernet Backhaul to provide extra coverage in the weaker parts of the house.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 661

Replies: 2

Related Articles