Mesh vs AP modes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Mesh vs AP modes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Mesh vs AP modes
Mesh vs AP modes
2022-08-19 00:00:54 - last edited 2022-08-19 02:41:22
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.6.0 Build 20220525 Rel. 48298

Wondering the difference between using Mesh mode, or using AP mode?

Already have setup original router on a particular subnet (192.168.0.x), with quite a few fixed IP (printers/servers etc)

On setup, the deco installs as a router on the (192.168.68.x) network.

If I change to AP mode, I realize I lose AV/Parent etc stuff, but do they retain the same connectivity? Do I lose any other preferable stuff?

Thanks. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Mesh vs AP modes-Solution
2022-08-19 00:27:21 - last edited 2022-08-19 02:41:22

@hornetster 

In Access Point mode, Deco provides WiFi coverage, while network is still managed by your router. If all you need is better WiFi coverage for your place, running Deco mesh in AP mode is the right solution.

Because in AP mode all content filtering and bandwidth throttling features of Deco are turned off, you will be getting maximum WiFi performance Deco can deliver.

If you plan to wire some of Deco nodes with Ethernet, you will have complete flexibility how you want to do it.

All wired and wireless devices on your network, including those wired directly to the router, will be on the same router subnet and can communicate with each other.

You will not need to wire Main Deco directly to the router, could be to the switch. Also, you will not need to pass all network traffic through the Main Deco. If you have network switch, you can just connect Main Deco to one of its ports. In case you have heavy wired network traffic over gigabit Internet link, that would be preferred setup. Less stress on Main Deco CPU if it only serves wireless devices.

See What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco?

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Mesh vs AP modes-Solution
2022-08-19 00:27:21 - last edited 2022-08-19 02:41:22

@hornetster 

In Access Point mode, Deco provides WiFi coverage, while network is still managed by your router. If all you need is better WiFi coverage for your place, running Deco mesh in AP mode is the right solution.

Because in AP mode all content filtering and bandwidth throttling features of Deco are turned off, you will be getting maximum WiFi performance Deco can deliver.

If you plan to wire some of Deco nodes with Ethernet, you will have complete flexibility how you want to do it.

All wired and wireless devices on your network, including those wired directly to the router, will be on the same router subnet and can communicate with each other.

You will not need to wire Main Deco directly to the router, could be to the switch. Also, you will not need to pass all network traffic through the Main Deco. If you have network switch, you can just connect Main Deco to one of its ports. In case you have heavy wired network traffic over gigabit Internet link, that would be preferred setup. Less stress on Main Deco CPU if it only serves wireless devices.

See What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco?

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Mesh vs AP modes
2022-08-19 02:15:05
Great stuff! Thanks for the reply. Sounds like AP is the way I want to go. Thanks.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 428

Replies: 2