Poor Wifi in Second Floor

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-22 07:51:29 - last edited 2022-08-22 09:45:35
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.4

Hi All,

I have some Problems with my Wifi Network over 2 Floors.

On my 1. Floor there is a small chamber behind the kitchen, where I have a small Server Cabinet. 

There I have my Vodafone Cable Modem/Router (1000 mbit) , which is connected to a Netgear Gigabit Switch and my Main Deco is also connected to that switch.

So actually I use my deco as kind of second Router, just for the wifi.

Standing right below my Main Deco, I'm getting 350-400 Mbit from my iPhone Speedtest.

In the Living Room there is my Second Deco, which is also connected to the switch.

Standing right next to it, I'm getting around 100 Mbit from my iPhone Speedtest.

On the 2. Floor I have my deco very close to my small homeoffice desk, and it's also connected to the switch.

Even though I have very poor Wifi on the second floor. Speedtest allways show something between 20-60 mbit Download. 
When connected by cable I will get the whole Gigabit.

I thought, the other Decos would have access to the Gigabit Internet through the cable and therefore could spread a better signal as if receiving a poor wifi signal and spreading that.

Does someone have any advice to me, how I can get a better performance?

Here is a map of my rooms to understand the situation.

Kind Regards

Tobias

Options
1 Reply
Re:Poor Wifi in Second Floor
2022-08-22 11:42:06 - last edited 2022-08-22 11:42:47

@tobi_tp 

I suspect your Satellite Deco, even when they are wired, use WiFi backhaul to connect to Main Deco. You can check this by opening Satellite Deco information screen in Deco app and checking its Signal Source. For WiFi connection, you'll see similar to the following:

The reason why Satellite Deco refuses to use Ethernet link is explained here: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

The fix is quite simple, you need to configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode: How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode

If everything done right, your Satellite Deco will start using Ethernet link. You should see the following under Signal Source for each Satellite Deco:

WiFi speed on Satellite Deco wired to Ethernet will be the same as on Main Deco, much improved over what you have now.

----------

If you've made the change to run Deco mesh in Access Point, but Deco mesh became unstable or Satellite Deco still uses WiFi backhaul, it is possible your networking switch is not compatible with Deco mesh protocols. The document I refered to above has a discussion on that topic and recommended replacements for the switch.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 626

Replies: 1

Related Articles