My deco network was reaching over 100mbps consistently now dropped below 10mbps

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-26 14:20:44 - last edited 2022-08-26 18:13:45
Tags: #Access Point Mode #slowwifi
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.6 Build 20211018

Hi there

My deco network currently consists of M5 and M9 decos. For the past three months we have had a consistent speed of over 100mbps for download and around 30 mbps for upload. 

We recently had a power cut across the area that after everything booted up fine and was at the same speed. It was only until the evening when it suddenly got slow and only showed speeds under 10 for both download and upload. 

I have tried rebooting and placing the decos in different places but still nothing has changed. The only time I get the full speed is if I stand right next to the main deco. I haven't changed any settings either. 

My decos are currently on access point so the main deco is by my router and out in the open on a table. There has never been speeds this low for a while now and I don't understand what could be causing this. 

If you all have any suggestions on what to do that would be great.

I am using a mixture of wired and wireless connections and all speeds are the same

Thanks

Shay

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:My deco network was reaching over 100mbps consistently now dropped below 10mbps-Solution
2022-08-26 15:23:37 - last edited 2022-08-26 18:13:45

@familyr 

You said you tried rebooting Decos, but for the purpose of troubleshooting I would suggest the following:

1. Power off all Satellite Decos.

2. Power Main Deco off and then on, it is the only Deco that should be running at this point.

3. In Deco app, there is "Test Internet Speed" - this tests speed of wired connection between Main Deco and Internet. Try it and tell what does it report. 

4. Run speed tests on mobile device connected to Main Deco and tell what speed you'll get. Your device should be not far than 6 feet (2 meters) and not closer than 3 feet (1 meter) from Main Deco, with unobstructed view of it. If first result is too low, run multiple speed tests on same device with very short interval between each test.

5. Power on all Satellite Deco one by one, and wait till Satellite Deco you powered on has its LED turn solid green until powering on next one. Start with Satellites closest to Main Deco and continue with those further away.

If this does not fix the issue with the speed, please share a bit more info about your home network setup:

1. What is your Internet speed?

2. Do you have Ethernet wired Satellite Decos, this was not clear from your original post. If you do:

2a. How many and what (brand names, models) switches are between wired Satellite Deco and Main Deco or ISP Router if Satellites are connected to ISP Router?

2b. Do wired Satellite Decos report Ethernet link under their Signal Source in Deco app? Please double check that after they are back online.

2c. What WiFi speeds are you getting at wired Satellite Decos?

3. Do you have laptop/desktop with Ethernet card that you can connect to Deco Ethernet port, for further troubleshooting?

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:My deco network was reaching over 100mbps consistently now dropped below 10mbps-Solution
2022-08-26 15:23:37 - last edited 2022-08-26 18:13:45

@familyr 

You said you tried rebooting Decos, but for the purpose of troubleshooting I would suggest the following:

1. Power off all Satellite Decos.

2. Power Main Deco off and then on, it is the only Deco that should be running at this point.

3. In Deco app, there is "Test Internet Speed" - this tests speed of wired connection between Main Deco and Internet. Try it and tell what does it report. 

4. Run speed tests on mobile device connected to Main Deco and tell what speed you'll get. Your device should be not far than 6 feet (2 meters) and not closer than 3 feet (1 meter) from Main Deco, with unobstructed view of it. If first result is too low, run multiple speed tests on same device with very short interval between each test.

5. Power on all Satellite Deco one by one, and wait till Satellite Deco you powered on has its LED turn solid green until powering on next one. Start with Satellites closest to Main Deco and continue with those further away.

If this does not fix the issue with the speed, please share a bit more info about your home network setup:

1. What is your Internet speed?

2. Do you have Ethernet wired Satellite Decos, this was not clear from your original post. If you do:

2a. How many and what (brand names, models) switches are between wired Satellite Deco and Main Deco or ISP Router if Satellites are connected to ISP Router?

2b. Do wired Satellite Decos report Ethernet link under their Signal Source in Deco app? Please double check that after they are back online.

2c. What WiFi speeds are you getting at wired Satellite Decos?

3. Do you have laptop/desktop with Ethernet card that you can connect to Deco Ethernet port, for further troubleshooting?

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:My deco network was reaching over 100mbps consistently now dropped below 10mbps
2022-08-26 16:00:10 - last edited 2022-08-26 16:05:07

@Alexandre. 

Speed through deco app: 145mbps

Speed through Ookla with just main deco on: 147mbps

Speed through Ookla on my computer upstairs on both wifi and ethernet: 20 to 30 mbps

Internet speed of my main wifi through the router is the same as the main deco. Around 140 mbps

For my current deco setup 

I have an M9 plus V2 connected to my router. 

I have the same M9 model in a downstairs room on the opposite side of the house. 

Then I have the same model M9 in the loft bedroom. 

I then have 2 M5 v3's one in the hallway which is around 3 metres away. Then one upstairs in the office room which I use to hardwire my PC. 

The two downstairs M9's are connected to Ethernet(one for the router and one for a sky box) and show it in the app and the M5 shows ethernet because it is connected to a sky box with its signal source from the main deco.

With the wired satellite only 20 to 30mbps

UPDATE

in my deco app I changed the signal source and that changed it greatly. Still not over 100 but around 50-60 now

Options
Re:My deco network was reaching over 100mbps consistently now dropped below 10mbps
2022-08-26 16:15:35

@familyr 

Your Main Deco seems to be fine. Your Internet link is good. No issues between Main Deco and router.

You know that in AP mode, any wired Deco can be Main Deco, right? To check what speed each of your Satellie Deco gets through wired connection, you can promote it to Main Deco and after that run "Test Internet Speed" in Deco app again. See Changing the Main Unit for your Mesh Network

Alternatively, you can just plug your desktop to each Satellite Deco, and run speed tests from the desktop.

I suspect your Satellite M9 wired to the router will show good speeds, but through sky boxes might not. Unfortunately, I have no experience with sky boxes and won't be able to help with figuring what changed there after electrical power event.

As a workaround, you may wish to disconnect Satellite Deco from sky box, so that Deco can use WiFi backhaul and, then, using new firmware 1.6 feature point Satellite M5s to the optimal Deco they should be connected to, the one that results in fastest speeds on that Satellite Deco.

Options
2022-08-26 17:11:07

@Alexandre. 

Alright! Thank you so much for your help!!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 473

Replies: 4

Tags