Archer AX73 / Google Chromecast with TV (Gen 4) connectivity issues and disconnects

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer AX73 / Google Chromecast with TV (Gen 4) connectivity issues and disconnects

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-08-31 15:26:54 - last edited 2022-08-31 15:29:35
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.2 Build 20220317 rel.50456(4555)

Purchased and sucessfully ran a Google Chromecast with TV (Generation 4) for a few months - unit was assigned a permanent DHCP lease and worked great...for a while.

Then I started to have issues with connectivity where the Google TV lost WiFi connection and struggled to regain it. Issue was intermitent and appeared random but then increased to a point where it simply would no longer hold, or even connect, to router. Could not find anything on internet even remotly similar to my issue so I ruled it as a faulty unit.

Returned the unit and received a replacement.

New Google TV unit connected fine but immidiatly exhibits the same issues as before pointing towards a router issue rather than something else.

I have 2 other Chromecasts (Gen3) connected to router - works perfect - no other unit exhibits issues similar to the Google TV one.

Any ideas?

I live in Sweden and appear to have a Firmware 1.2.2 Build 20220317 rel.50456(4555) installed on Router while it is suggested that I should perhaps use the EU Firmware

https://www.tp-link.com/se/support/download/archer-ax73/#Firmware

On the subject of Firmware - I do not know if there was a Firmware update made at the time of going from *working* condition to not working.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer AX73 / Google Chromecast with TV (Gen 4) connectivity issues and disconnects
2022-09-01 07:08:27

@SwedishLaban 

Before the Google Chromecast with TV (Gen 4) stopped working with the Archer AX73, was there any change in your network or did you change some settings on the AX73?

Please login to the AX73 web interface and confirm if the Google Chromecast with TV (Gen 4) still shows up in the Address Reservation list when the issue happens.

Is this Google Chromecast with TV (Gen 4) connecting to the 2.4G or 5G network of the AX73? If you enable the Hotspot on your phone, will the Chromecast connect to it?

You may try disabling the Smart Connect on the AX73 and changing the 2.4G wireless channel to 11 to confirm if the Google Chromecast with TV (Gen 4)  can connect to it.

For wireless security, it's suggested to try WPA2-PSK, AES. You can also try disabling IGMP Proxy and IGMP Snooping.

If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Archer AX73 / Google Chromecast with TV (Gen 4) connectivity issues and disconnects
2022-09-01 11:18:33 - last edited 2022-09-01 11:19:58

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you for the response

• Before the Google Chromecast with TV (Gen 4) stopped working with the Archer AX73, was there any change in your network or did you change some settings on the AX73?
    • In terms of general changes; no
    • In terms of updated Firmware; I don't know - can't recall when the last firmware update was made.

• Please login to the AX73 web interface and confirm if the Google Chromecast with TV (Gen 4) still shows up in the Address Reservation list when the issue happens.
    • It is there - correct IP assigned in the DHCP Client list

• Is this Google Chromecast with TV (Gen 4) connecting to the 2.4G or 5G network of the AX73?
    • Embarassingly enough - I cannot tell, can't see where in the interface I can see that.

• If you enable the Hotspot on your phone, will the Chromecast connect to it?
    • No - my iPhone does not pop up - will explore this further with other devices too.

• You may try disabling the Smart Connect on the AX73 and changing the 2.4G wireless channel to 11 to confirm if the Google Chromecast with TV (Gen 4)  can connect to it.
    • Done - running 2.4Ghz only on channel 11 for a while - will report any changes.

• For wireless security, it's suggested to try WPA2-PSK, AES. You can also try disabling IGMP Proxy and IGMP Snooping.
    • WPA2-PSK[AES] is used
    • Have now disabled IGMP Proxy & IGMP Snooping - will report any changes.
Options
2022-09-03 11:06:56 - last edited 2022-09-03 11:08:34

@Kevin_Z 

Update 03/09/2022

• You may try disabling the Smart Connect on the AX73 and changing the 2.4G wireless channel to 11 to confirm if the Google Chromecast with TV (Gen 4)  can connect to it.
    • Done - running 2.4Ghz only on channel 11 for a while - will report any changes.

Update 3 Sept 2022
    • Ran 2.4GHz on channel 11 only (i.e. did not activate 5GHz at all) and the Chromecast (Gen 4) connected fine and remained stable.
    • Proceeded to activate 5GHz - did NOT reactivate the Smart Connect i.e. currently run two networks at home
    • Made all other units connect ot the 5GHz network - The Google Chromecast with TV (Gen 4) appear to remain stable on the 2.4GHz network.

• For wireless security, it's suggested to try WPA2-PSK, AES. You can also try disabling IGMP Proxy and IGMP Snooping.
    • WPA2-PSK[AES] is used
    • Have now disabled IGMP Proxy & IGMP Snooping - will report any changes.

Update 3 Sept 2022
    • Have not reactivated IGMP Proxy or IGMP Snooping - see no use for it my setup anyway (to tell the truth, don't know what they do and nothing broke by disabling them so...not gonna try fix what isn't broken).

My conclusion is that the Smart Connect is either the culprit alone or what the Gen 4 Chromecast don't like / can't handle. Will try (later) to run the Chromecast on the 5GHz to see if it works - intent being to narrow it down further towards the Smart Connect feature or to determine if it is the 5GHz band that the Chromecast can't handle.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1030

Replies: 3

Related Articles