Setting wired connection to NAS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-01 17:09:04 - last edited 2022-09-01 19:57:01
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.4

Background: I've just installed the Deco E4 in my home. Wireless is working fine but my NAS that used to be plugged into the old router and is now wired into the main Deco is not showing at all.

Questions:

• How do I find out what the wired connection is? I can see lots of wireless connections showing, most 5GHz, some 24GHz but no wired connections.
  • How do I set the static IP of my wired connection? It used to be 192.168.1.1. The Deco's address is showing as 192.168.68.1
  • How would I set the port forwarding for the NAS assuming typical student home use?

Many thanks for your time

Mike

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Setting wired connection to NAS-Solution
2022-09-01 19:26:44 - last edited 2022-09-01 19:57:01

@mbk34 

Device with wired connection will not have MESH toggle in front of it, in the list of connected devices in Deco app. When you open information page for such device, you'll see "Connection Type: Wired" there. Example:

Your NAS must have been configured with static IP address. To make it visible to Deco you must reconfigure NAS to request IP address dynamically.  Check NAS documentation on how to configure it.

One of the options would be to bring your old router back, connect NAS to it. This will let you get access to NAS management Web pages, where you should be able to find its IP address settings.

Mind you, Deco E4 Ethernet ports are 100Mbps (Fast Ethernet) not gigabit. Speed of file transfers to/from NAS will be limited by that.

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:Setting wired connection to NAS-Solution
2022-09-01 19:26:44 - last edited 2022-09-01 19:57:01

@mbk34 

Device with wired connection will not have MESH toggle in front of it, in the list of connected devices in Deco app. When you open information page for such device, you'll see "Connection Type: Wired" there. Example:

Your NAS must have been configured with static IP address. To make it visible to Deco you must reconfigure NAS to request IP address dynamically.  Check NAS documentation on how to configure it.

One of the options would be to bring your old router back, connect NAS to it. This will let you get access to NAS management Web pages, where you should be able to find its IP address settings.

Mind you, Deco E4 Ethernet ports are 100Mbps (Fast Ethernet) not gigabit. Speed of file transfers to/from NAS will be limited by that.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Setting wired connection to NAS
2022-09-01 19:56:38

Thank you for your help. It took a little while to complete as I had to change routers etc but it all seems to be working fine now.

Do you have any advice on how to set the port forwarding for torrent etc?

Options
2022-09-01 20:06:50
Also, is there a way to make the NAS a static IP?
Options
2022-09-01 20:08:25

@mbk34 

Before you do port forwarding, it would make sense to reserve IP address of NAS, which is the same as "static IP address." See How to configure Address Reservation with Deco

After you reserved IP address for NAS, follow this document for port forwarding: How to set up Port Forwarding feature on the Deco

Options
2022-09-07 20:25:20

@Alexandre. Setting the static address for the NAS was fairly easy but I simply don't understand what I'm supposed to do regards port forwarding. The help page was interesting but just left me baffled.

I have 3 Deco E4's in the house. One is wired into the ethernet and acts as a router. My NAS has been given a static IP and it is wired into the same E4 unit.I download the occasional torrent but obviously haven't been able to do this for a while. On the app it asks for a service type but gives no clue which type to use (DNS, FTP, GOPHER, ...). It then asks for an external port and an internal port - I'm not sure what to put in here and can it be a range of ports? Then it asks for a protocol (All, TCP and UDP). 

Finally it asks me to reserve a fixed address for this device - what device? the NAS has a fixed address and the router seems set at 192.168.68.1 or are they talking about something else?

Options
2022-09-07 20:45:04

@mbk34 

I am familiar with the concept of port forwarding, but I don't know what port forwarding settings torrent requires. If you could get me port forwarding configuration for torrent from the router you had before Deco, I think I may be able to walk you through the process of replicating it in Deco.

Options
2022-09-07 21:06:24 - last edited 2022-09-07 21:11:23

@Alexandre  The details I have are UDP and port 9308 plus the static address of the NAS. I'm afraid I don't know if the port is internal or external.

Thanks for getting back so quickly!

Options
2022-09-07 21:25:16 - last edited 2022-09-07 21:26:06

@mbk34 

We will follow this document: How to set up Port Forwarding feature on the Deco

Proceed through Steps 1 to 3.

Step 4: 

Select in Service Type - Custom

In Service Name type this: My Torrent

For Internal PC select IP address of your NAS (you should have set it as fixed (static) IP address in Deco before)

For External Port enter 9308 

Leave the Internal Port blank

Verify that Protocol is set to All

Tap Done

---------------

You should now have all incoming traffic through port 9308 forwarded to port 9308 of your NAS.

Step 5 is for verification.

Step 6 is if you want to delete port forwarding entry. The one you just created will be there under "My Torrent" name

Options
2022-09-08 17:07:09

@Alexandre. Thanks for your time on this.

I did initially have a small issue in that it set the internal port to be the same as the external port but when I cleared the internal port value it started to work.It did seem to be quite slow at first but then I realised that the Deco has a torrent speed limiting schedule. It's now working at full speed.

Many thanks.!!!

PS Who on earth came up with the light gray text on a white background for the app - it's almost invisible!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 719

Replies: 9

Related Articles