OpenVPN connection drop when using MR400 router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-02 13:53:06
Tags: #OpenVPN
Model: Archer MR400  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 210610 Rel.67239n

Hello!

I bought an MR400 router. I use OpenVPN to connect to my office network. I do not use the built in OpenVPN in the router. I use a cable to connect to the router. The OpenVPN server (virtual machine) is in my office running Linux and I use an OpenVPN client on my windows laptop to connect to my office. The MR400 provides only a 4G connection to the internet. Since I use the MR400 as a router my OpenVPN connection gets interrupted multiple times a day which is very annoying. When I switch to my previous router then my OpenVPN connection lasts for days, there are no drops at all. Right now I am convinced that the cause of the drops is the new router. I don't see new firmware, or at lease the admin console tells me that I am up to date, but I cannot verify this. How can I fix my OpenVPN connection?

Regards

Gellert

Options
2 Reply
Re:OpenVPN connection drop when using MR400 router
2022-09-05 06:01:37

@grey209 

Hi, thank you very much for the feedback.

1. When the OpenVPN connection disconnects, is internet access still working from the MR400?

2. Is your previous router also a 4G router using the same SIM card? or using other broadband internet? If it uses a broadband internet instead of the same 4G SIM card, it is recommended to try the same SIM card in another 4G device or even smartphone(enable hotspot and connect the same computer to the phone hotspot)

3. If internet drops as well on MR400 when the OpenVPN disconnects, please share with us screenshot of Advanced->Status page and Advanced->Network->Internet page and also a system log after the problem happens.

Options
Re:OpenVPN connection drop when using MR400 router
2022-09-05 11:17:36

@Sunshine 

Hello Sunshine,

1. Yes, I still have internet access, I was ping-ing a test site continuosly every second and there was no dropped ping.

2. My previous device is also a 4G router, its a portable R219 from Vodafone. Its an older model, but works flalessly. I used the same sim card in both devices.

3. I've checked the system logs there is nothing important. I've even turned on debug logging, but all I see is that it can successfully resolve some dns address. I'll set up remote logging, maybe it will display more information.

This week I work from my office, so I don't use the VPN, but when I arrive home I'll test it again.

Gellert

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 237

Replies: 2

Tags

OpenVPN