Problem withs decos / number of users ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Problem withs decos / number of users ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
17 Reply
Re:Problem withs decos / number of users ?
2022-09-15 21:25:27

@Alexandre. 

After trying without success to get a x series deco, I tried directly your suggestion 2, switched all decos to access points and used my original  Huawei provider router... And it is working up to now !! Thanks for your help

All is ok except I cant access anymore to my Shelly devices with their IP address on a web browser. Not sure if it is a router setup that needs to be done... ?

Options
2022-09-16 13:18:20

MedMez wrote

@Alexandre. 

After trying without success to get a x series deco, I tried directly your suggestion 2, switched all decos to access points and used my original  Huawei provider router... And it is working up to now !! Thanks for your help

All is ok except I cant access anymore to my Shelly devices with their IP address on a web browser. Not sure if it is a router setup that needs to be done... ?

@MedMez 

After you configured Deco to run in AP mode, your Huawei provider router is responsible for network management and IP addresses allocation. Your Shelly devices should have received new IP addresses from Huawei router. They will be different from those Deco provided before.

Check what are new IP addresses of Shelly devices and try them in browser.

Options
2022-09-28 14:03:22

@Alexandre. 

Thank you Alexandre. That worked just perfect....

All my devices have a stable connection now.

I am thinking though to move to ubiquity (wifi 6) as I have now 9 decos over my house (which is a lot) and I still have some places not covered right.

I just would like your advice about the setup.

Except for access points u6 long range and lite, do you recommend buying their router too (which one) and put it behind my original provider router? There is no way to delete the provider router so I am thinking to set it as a bridge... So that all traffic is managed by the ubiquity router

Options
2022-09-28 14:11:26

@MedMez 

I have no experience with ubiquity networking gear, but maybe @Philbert can lend you a hand with that.

Options
2022-09-30 17:01:09 - last edited 2022-09-30 17:01:50

@MedMez 

Hey MedMez

Ubiquiti stuff is good, dont get me wrong but be careful thinking its the answer to everything.   The u6 Long Range for example is designed for Long Range, this is not the same as signal pen3tration which sounds like the issue you are having.   LR models have a slightly different radiation pattern and some models a stronger antenna, however if not planned correctly that can make things worse as it refracts more and causes more airspace congestion.   I had one customer took upon himself to replace all the Nano's I provided with the AC LR model, the performance tanked due to congestion and errors being received.  I have seen the LR models used indoors that provide no better signal than any other AP, when in an open area (hall, gym etc) however then its a better option provided you have the appropriate airspace, just bear that in mind. 

Just my two cents worth, but if 9 Deco cant cover your entire house you really should be looking at getting someone to do a site survey for you, especially if you have black spots.   From what you are saying and experience, running cables and mounting ceiling APs in very specific locations may be your only option here, chucking extra APs around isnt the best answer in most occasions.

You could look at the TP Link Omada range, its very similiar to the Ubiquiti and a LOT cheaper.  I have found my customers using it a lot more recently, 90% of the features for 50% of the price..   Pop over to the Business forums and they will have more info for you.

Options
2022-11-11 12:42:15

Hi

After several weeks with a stable system, the main pb is for sure now the router (I was using an M5 as a router in my setup)....

It is not handling well the number of connections etc... as I want to stick with this configuration to benefit from parental controls for example (not available in access points mode), is there any deco router powerful enough to manage more than 120 units and avoid congestion I actually have with the M5 ?

Options
2022-11-11 18:05:27

Just one more thing

MedMez wrote

Hi

After several weeks with a stable system, the main pb is for sure now the router (I was using an M5 as a router in my setup)....

It is not handling well the number of connections etc... as I want to stick with this configuration to benefit from parental controls for example (not available in access points mode), is there any deco router powerful enough to manage more than 120 units and avoid congestion I actually have with the M5 ?

, I dont need WiFi performance at that location, Just good router function

Options
Related Articles