Unable to Connect to Satelitte DECO and the Deco with Lan Cable

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-05 10:27:19
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi 

I have tried to call TP-Link to setup my Deco E4R system at home... There are a number of issues we are facing

1. My Deco Network is setup - This is fine

2. I am unable to connect the Deco to the Satelitte box, becasue its sayiing unable to find Network, move closer to the box.

3. I have setup my 3rd Deco box in my summer house with a LAN cable , but as there is no wifi in the summer house, it will not see the network 

Its not an easy plug n Play system, and also neither does Chat or Phone get me a person to talk too.

Am looking to returning this product in due course.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Unable to Connect to Satelitte DECO and the Deco with Lan Cable
2022-09-05 22:19:32

@DylanFowdar 

Hey

Hopefully we can help you with this

1. My Deco Network is setup - This is fine

Nice one..

2. I am unable to connect the Deco to the Satelitte box, becasue its sayiing unable to find Network, move closer to the box.

The Deco is a mesh system and one node needs to be able to see the other node, is there a large distance / many walls between them?  If so try moving it closer to the main deco and run it again.   Generally 50% signal strength is where you want the 2nd node to be

3. I have setup my 3rd Deco box in my summer house with a LAN cable , but as there is no wifi in the summer house, it will not see the network 

Deco cant be connected via LAN in the setup you have, it would require switching to AP mode.   In the mode you are its a MESH connection so uses WiFi.   The node in the summer house needs to be able to see wifi to connect and repeat it.  Try placing the node at the last point of your main house and not inside the summer house. 

My parents have a node in their kitchen and it repeats the main deco in the hall, the kitchen signal is far enough to cover their summer house and garden

Options
2022-09-06 07:30:18

@Philbert  Thank you for your reply

So on the point of the distance between nodes,  the second node is 10 metres away. However even while we were setting up - we brough the second node into the same room. 

Regardless the fisrt node did not connect to the second node.

On the last point of the 3rd node, I do not understand because when I bought the system in Currys, the Tech Guy told me you can use the Ethernet port to connect two nodes together. Now you are saying otherwise. The distance between Node 2 and Node 3 is approx 75 metres - and with that said there is a Cat 6 running from Node 2 -> Node 3.  If the nodes cannot be connected and give me full strengh internet, then I think the network system is a failure already. 

I have asked for the support team to call me /or setup a Live chat to talk about this, but as yet no reply. 

Again I have a feeling I have been ill advised and bought the wrong product.

Dylan

Options
2022-09-06 10:25:00

@DylanFowdar 

In short there are two modes for Deco.. Router mode and Access Point mode.

In Router Mode the Deco has a MAIN DECO and the others connect to it via WiFi (mesh) and repeat the signal.  LAN ports are used for connecting clients and not between the nodes.

Access Point mode is however the reverse, it uses the LAN ports for communuication between the nodes OR for clients, however wont use the mesh to talk so they need to be connected via the LAN to at least one port (other can be client).   As there is no main deco in this mode, it removes the Router function and therefore the DHCP as well.    This might be the better option for you if you have distance between nodes.

The link below will give you some more info on this

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1842/

Options