Using Deco with landline router AND 4G router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-06 17:05:18
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I just bought and set up my Deco M4 system with 3 access points. As per the instructions, one is hardwired in to the modem from my Internet provider.  The connection from the internet provider is showing speeds of about 40Mbps, but it seems spotty - it's dropping regularly.  It seems to be something with the external connection, nothing to do with the Decos. 

Prior to this setup, I was using a TP-Link TL-MR4600 4g router. The speeds I was getting were between 3Mbps and 15Mbps. Not great speeds, but it never dropped. 

I'd like to know if there is a way to use the Decos to combine the two internet connections? I'd like the speed of the landline, with the ability to fall back to the 4G when it drops. I thought I read before that this might be possible, but I'm not sure now.  

My goal is made a little more complex by the fact that we're in a really old house with thick stone walls. There is one working phone jack at the rear of the house. There is one window that gets good 4G reception at the front of the house.  I do have a spool of Cat5e that I plan to run through the walls someday, but I'm hoping to find a good interim solution using the Decos.  

Thanks!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Using Deco with landline router AND 4G router
2022-09-06 18:18:13

@rickjames8 

You can't use Deco M4 to combine both Internet connections. There is different Deco model which supports both wired Internet link and 4G, but it may be an overkill for the speeds you are getting. It may also be unnecessary, considering you have TP-Link TL-MR6400 4G router capable of doing it.

You can connect Main Deco M4 to TP-Link TL-MR6400 4G router and let router manage both wired and wireless Internet connection. Do you still have TL-MR6400? 

Options
Re:Using Deco with landline router AND 4G router
2022-09-06 22:03:09

@rickjames8 

Thanks for the reply.  I think I did figure out that I could do that. I could run the DSL through the 4G router, and then out of the 4G router and in to the Deco system.  The issue is that the two devices are on opposite ends of the house.  Ill try to find a way to move the DSL router closer. Thanks for confirming it can't be done with the Deco as the hub!!

Options