router restarts every few minutes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-07 21:24:30
Tags: #reboot
Model: Archer MR400  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: Firmware Version:‪1.0.0 0.9.1 v0001.0 Build 210610 Rel.67239n

Hello Community,

my brand new MR400 V4.20 keeps restarting itself when I use torrent over it. The situation is the following: when there is more traffic on the torrent, multiple active uploads and downloads, than I suddenly loose the wifi signal. I check the router phisically and I see the lights flashing. After a minute the wifi is back. I check the logs, and they are basically empty, it just shows a recest boot. I use the router in 4G mode with a sim card. Signal strength is not the best, but it should not reboot because of heavy load. Similar situation happened to me with a wtr54gl router, but I was able to work around this limitation by lowering the number of open connections. I did the same with the mr400, I've lowered the connections to 50, which is pretty low but it keeps restarting, every 10-20 minutes, which is very annoying. Have you experienced such thing ? How can I fix this.

TIA,

grey209

Options
7 Reply
Re:router restarts every few minutes
2022-09-09 06:10:34

@grey209 

Hi,thank you very much for the feedback.

1. Do you mean there are 50 client devices connected to MR400 at the same time? are they connected via wired connection or wireless connection? and via 2.4GHz or 5GHz WiFi?

2. When there are multiple uploads and downloads on torrent, it reboots itself randomly every 10-20 minutes or reboots in a loop and doesn't work at all? 

3. When you are not using torrent, do you mean it still reboots itself but less frequently? 

4. May I know what kind of client devices are usually connected to it? like smart home devices or phone and computers only? and are they having high traffic operation frequently?

5. If possible, could you please test a different SIM card from another carrier to see if it still has the same issue?

6. For comparison test, please also try to leave only one or two client devices to it and test if it still reboots itself when you use torrent.

Options
2022-09-09 10:39:17

@Sunshine 

Hello Sunshine,

1. I mean that my torrent client is limited to 50 connections. So there is only one PC connected to the router and that one PC is allowed to open only 50 connections to the internet. That single PC is connected via WiFi, 2,4 or % Ghz, it does not matter.

2. When there is torrent traffic, the router reboot every 10-20 minutes. After the reboot the router does work again, but only for a few minutes, than it reboots again.

3. When I don't use torrent, than the router does not reboots at all. Or at least I didn't noticed until now. I bought the router only few days ago.

4. I only use personal computers and mobile phones to connect to the router.

5. Yes, I could and will do this but I don't think that this has anything to do with the situation.

6. When there is less traffic, for example I only seed and do not download anything, that the router does not reboot.

Many many years ago I had similar experience with a a Linksys WRT64GL router. These "home and office" routers do not have enough processing power to handle thousands of connections to the internet. This is somewhat understandable, but even my 15 years old router was able to handle a few hundred connections. I don't understand how a brand new high tech router cannot even handle 50 simultaneous connections to the internet. Yesterday I've set up the torrent client to allow only 3 connections per torrent and the router did not rebooted for a many hours, but this limit is way to low. This kills the very essence of the torrent technology, which is to seed and download from multiple clients at the same time which spreads the load among them.

Options
2022-09-10 10:17:30

I did a test yesterday. I went to a place where there is a wired internet connection available. I've set up the MR400 as a Wireless Router, so not 3G/4G Router Mode . I've started to download 10 torrents with a speed limit of 1MByte/s. I've set the torrent client to 100 concurrent connections, which is acceptable for me. The router did not crash for 12 hours. Then I changed the router to 3G/4G Router Mode and it did crash/reboot in 20 minutes.

Options
2022-09-23 09:53:08

@grey209 

Hi, please send an email to "support.forum@tp-link.com" with this forum ID 581432, our engineer will continue to follow up your case.

Options
2022-09-24 07:54:04

@Sunshine 

Unfortunately I've returned the router to the store. It did not fit my use case, with those unexpected behaviors. Sorry. :(

Options
2022-10-02 09:42:58

i am facing the same issue. my router cant connect to my laptop and mobile. i need suggestion what i do.

Options
2022-10-11 11:04:39

@muhammadahmad 

Hi, do you mean automatic rebooting issue when use torrent via the router? 

You mentioned that the router cannot connect to your laptop and mobile, which sounds like a different issue, please provide more details about the problem.

In addition, what is the model number, hardware version and firmware version?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 446

Replies: 7

Tags

reboot
Related Articles