Using Client Mode connected to my mobile hotspot as a second home internet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Using Client Mode connected to my mobile hotspot as a second home internet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-09 15:06:22 - last edited 2022-09-16 06:45:53
Model: TL-WR902AC  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 0.1 v0089.0 Build 170828 Rel.57433n(4555)

I've configured my device in Client mode and connected it to my mobile hotspot.  When i plug my laptop directly into its ethernet port, I get internet correctly.

What I want to do now, is plug the device into my switch and then use it as an internet gateway for some of the devices on my network.  I've configured it with a static IP 192.168.33.2 and can now connect to it through the LAN.  The admin portal shows that it is connected to my phone's hotspot.

Wireless 2.4GHz

Operation Mode:Client

Wireless Radio:Enabled

Name(SSID) of Root AP:AndroidAP

Mode:11bgn mixed

Channel:11

Channel Width:Auto

MAC Address:98:XX:XX:XX:XX:5C

My expectation was that i should now be able to change my gateway to 192.168.33.2 and access the internet via that connection, but it's not working.  A trace returns destination net unreachable:

Tracing route to dns.google [8.8.8.8]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  2     *        *     192.168.33.2  reports: Destination net unreachable.

Wat am doing wrong?  Is this configuration even possible?

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Using Client Mode connected to my mobile hotspot as a second home internet connection-Solution
2022-09-09 17:16:02 - last edited 2022-09-16 06:45:53

@User4574 

Hi,

Client mode is similar to Access Point mode, so in this mode the TL-WR902AC doesn't have the capability to "route" data packets. If you want to use this type of setup, then you must use the IP address of the Android hotspot (the "router") as the Gateway IP address.

If you need the TL-WR902AC to act as a Gateway, then you should set it up in "Hotspot / WISP" mode. Then it will work like a normal router, with the only difference being that the WAN connection is wireless instead of Ethernet cable.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Using Client Mode connected to my mobile hotspot as a second home internet connection-Solution
2022-09-09 17:16:02 - last edited 2022-09-16 06:45:53

@User4574 

Hi,

Client mode is similar to Access Point mode, so in this mode the TL-WR902AC doesn't have the capability to "route" data packets. If you want to use this type of setup, then you must use the IP address of the Android hotspot (the "router") as the Gateway IP address.

If you need the TL-WR902AC to act as a Gateway, then you should set it up in "Hotspot / WISP" mode. Then it will work like a normal router, with the only difference being that the WAN connection is wireless instead of Ethernet cable.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Using Client Mode connected to my mobile hotspot as a second home internet connection
2022-09-15 15:10:20

@woozle thanks for the explanaton!  All sorted now.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 546

Replies: 2