Deco x55 network wireless connection speed drop issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-10 16:03:15 - last edited 2022-09-10 16:31:49
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.8.0

I recently purchased the Deco X55 for the advertised network wireless connection speed of 3.0 Gbps.  I did the auto firmware update to v1.8.0 (just getting this out of the way)

I noticed the advertised wireless connection speeds are not consistent.  If I am literally about 12 inches to 2 feet from the router. I do see that my mobile device does get a 1.2 Gbps wireless connection, but as soon as i start to move a little farther the wireless speed drops and at about 4 feet away.  That network wireless speed drops to 720 Mbps.  I am not sure if this is a setting issue or a firmware issue.  How can I ensure that as I move further.  The wireless connection speed stays relatively close to the 3 Gbps that is being advertised for the product?  Thank you

DECO X55 v1

5GHz Wireless Ch 48

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco x55 network wireless connection speed drop issue
2022-09-10 18:37:57

@Flaquirry 

Deco X55 is WiFi 6. You may have used the wrong tag #Wi-Fi 6E, or bought the wrong hardware.

Deco X55 has gigabit Ethernet ports. Mobile devices will be limited by that, and would never exceed that speed when using the Internet. 

What you show in screenshots appears to be link speed that is negotiated between your mobile device and Deco. This is the theoretical maximum for what they can achieve, and real speed would be about 80% of that. 

The 1.2Gbps link speed is consistent with what one should expect from WiFi 6, and it is supposed to drop as device moves away from the Deco. 

You will never see link speed of 3Gbps with Deco X55. I recommend you the following excellent article which explains it: 

You will have to retype that URL manually in browser, I can only post screenshot of it due to this forum security settings.

From that article: "It’s helpful to understand the components of Wi-Fi connections and how they interact to determine performance. The Nighthawk RAXE500 claims 10,800 Mbps of throughput, but where does that number come from? Why are the numbers what they are, and why don’t I get 10,800 Mbps on my speed tests?"

Same applies to Deco X55 claiming 3,000 Mbps of throughput.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 673

Replies: 1