Creating a OneMesh network on a 3-floor home

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-20 21:18:47 - last edited 2022-09-21 01:14:56
Model: RE605X  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello. I am going to live in a 3-floor home and I would like to build the connectivity using OneMesh devices. The home has a floor we name 0 with the living room and a terrace, then a lower floor we name -1 with 3 bedrooms, a studio and a garden and a floor we name -2 that is a sort of basement with a cellar and and additional living room used for home cinema and parties.The connectivity needs are smart working, home cinema, parallel video and audio streaming, remote control, home automation, IoT,  video surveillance

This is the project I would like to build:

1) A server cabinet in floor -2, where the optical fiber 2.5GB/s is connected to a proprietary modem of the service provider

2) The FTTH modem is connected to a TP-LINK performant OneMesh device, I am considering the AX90: any suggestion?

3) The router is connected by LAN cat-6 cables to 2 switches like TL-SG105-M2, one for floor -1, one for floor 0.

4) I considered 4 extenders: one for floor -2, two for floor -1 (one internal, one for the garden under the  porch), one for floor 0. What is not clear are the performance of the router's and extender's antennas across 2 floors.

5) The extenders should be RE605X connected to the router using a dedicated LAN cat-6 cable from the switch in the floor: could anyone confirm the LAN por in RE605X can be used to connect the extender to the router and it works if the connection is distributed by a switch?

Can I manage a guest network and distribute it by the same extenders of the main SSID?

Any suggestion, inprovement?

Thanks.

Emanuele

Options
2 Reply
Re:Creating a OneMesh network on a 3-floor home
2022-09-20 23:23:58 - last edited 2022-09-20 23:46:41

@jupiter 

OneMesh doesn't support ethernet backhaul - OneMesh FAQ - Q5/A5, so using RE605X through ethernet switches won't work in OneMesh.

You'd be better with a Deco X-series mesh system (3-pack) in a house like this. They support ethernet backhaul and will cover much larger area.

If your ISP router can't be set in bridge mode you could also use Deco in AP mode to avoid the double NAT. Deco mesh supports guset network as well.

Here's the difference between Deco mesh and OneMesh.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Creating a OneMesh network on a 3-floor home
2022-09-21 15:28:10 - last edited 2022-09-21 15:36:17

@terziyski Thanks for the suggestion, I had understood OneMesh could work on ethernet too. I am looking at Deco products to do a new design based on it. As you have understood, I integrated in the past the ISP modem with the TP-LINK router AC1200 (that is still doing a good job) but I had to face the NAT issues that impact all the inbound services when I had to bind services to the ports: video surveillance, OpenVPN, gaming (Playstation Network requires specific ports open); with the NAT I had to define twice the services (ISP modem and tp-link router), loosing one parameter in the configuration: on the router I could bind only the IP assigned by the ISP modem. If I can configure the Deco router in AP mode, I have a single CIDR and binding is easier.

terziyski wrote

@jupiter 

OneMesh doesn't support ethernet backhaul - OneMesh FAQ - Q5/A5, so using RE605X through ethernet switches won't work in OneMesh.

You'd be better with a Deco X-series mesh system (3-pack) in a house like this. They support ethernet backhaul and will cover much larger area.

If your ISP router can't be set in bridge mode you could also use Deco in AP mode to avoid the double NAT. Deco mesh supports guset network as well.

Here's the difference between Deco mesh and OneMesh.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 364

Replies: 2

Related Articles