4-story home setup: 4 routers or combination of routers + switches + extenders?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-23 03:49:08 - last edited 2023-07-13 05:38:07

I'm moving to a 4-story house (it's not that big, it's a sloped terrain) and would like to set up my wi-fi network.

Think of it as 
- Floor #4: bedrooms
- Floor #3: living room and kitchen

- Floor #2: office

- Floor #1: backyard

The network signal comes from Floor #3, and I've already got RJ45 cables distributed to all the other floors.

On Floor #4, especially, the cable ends in the Hall between the bedrooms, and I have two other RJ45 cables going from the hall to the bedrooms themselves. I'm gonna connect the TVs directly to the cables.

Also, on Floor #2, I'd like to connect my notebook directly to the cable sometimes.

The above being the case I was wondering what would suit best my needs:

Approach 1: - Buying 4 AX73, one for each stage, and keep changing connections whenever I go up or down.
Approach 2: - Buying 1 AX73 for Floor #3, 1 switch + 1 extender on Floor #4, 1 switch + 1 extender on Floor #2, and 1 extender for Floor #1, and be able to connect in only one wifi network independently of where I'm at.

My first question would be: do you think the second approach would work, anyway?

Options
1 Reply
Re:4-story home setup: 4 routers or combination of routers + switches + extenders?
2022-10-14 03:47:22 - last edited 2023-07-13 05:38:07

@lsala 

I personally would suggest purchasing a Deco mesh system instead of the AX73 or extenders, since you are hoping to build an Ethernet backhaul. AX73 + extenders don't support Ethernet backhaul, they only work wirelessly when building Onemesh. You can check this FAQ (Q5) for more details.

You can try purchasing a 3-pack Deco first and check if that can match your requirement. If the signal is not stable when using wireless backhaul, you can purchase 2 switches then. Choose the TP-Link switch as I saw there might be compatibility issues with other brands, check here.

If my reply helps with the issue, please click on the arrow pointing upward. If it solves your issue, please click the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 147

Replies: 1

Related Articles