Poor wifi signal in new house

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-09-23 07:51:30
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

Just moved into a new house, and suddenly my three deco devices only covers a very small part of the area... I'm a rookie in this, so what can I do to fix it.

prev I had one deco in each floor (3floor house) and it worked perfectly. Now get weak signals when placing all three on the same floor! It doesnt work at all if I move one up to the 2nd floor.

it's an old wooden house, so no massive walls or concrete...

Happy for any help, since I currently only have wifi in half of the house...

Options
4 Reply
Re:Poor wifi signal in new house
2022-09-23 22:39:14

@MPG 

You can never rule out walls as a reason to kill WiFi, that said its quite unlikely to be too bad if its wooden walls / studs.  

My first advice for you would be to run the Network Optimiser, its in the Deco app..  it could well be that your new house has more WiFi in the area (neighbours) than your last place so a channel change may help, the optimiser will do taht for you.

Options
2022-09-25 07:29:00

@Philbert thanks for the tip! Have tried it now, and it just says that it works perfect after it ran.

however, when I check the signal strength it's still on the lowest level and keeps loosing it.

is there something else I can do with the settings if the issue is other wifi signals in the neighborhood? Allthough I only get like 2-3 visable wifi as an opt on the phone, and looks like quite far away.

thanks for your help!

Options
2022-09-26 14:13:50 - last edited 2022-09-26 14:14:03

@MPG 

It may not be possible to figure the difference between two houses without visiting them in person, which is obviously not an option.

I can help with basic steps of how to optimally place Deco units at your new house, but you might need to buy more if WiFi coverage with what you have is not sufficient. If you'd like my help, I have questions I will need you to answer:

1. What Deco models do you have;

2. What is the speed of your Internet link;

3. How large is your new house: how many floors and approximate floor square footage;

4. Can you place Main Deco in the middle of the house, and preferably it should be the middle floor, or you are forced to have Main Deco at one side of the house;

5. Weak signal - can you be more specific. Is it weak signal from smartphone to Deco node, slow WiFi speed on smartphone, yellow/red bars for Signal Source in Satellite Decos?

Options
2022-09-26 16:17:58

@Alexandre. 

Alexandre beat me to this, but yes exactly as he said.  If you can do some tests and post screenshots of whatever you can that would help us diagnose this.   

Ideally screenshots of   

1. The airspace from something like WiFi Analyser (2g and 5ghz)

2.  The speed ./ connection you are seeing on your App between the nodes

and anything else you feel important.. thanks  :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 647

Replies: 4

Related Articles