The best solution for an uninterrupted wifi between two floors with wifi6, USB3 sharing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

The best solution for an uninterrupted wifi between two floors with wifi6, USB3 sharing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-08 08:18:41
Model: Archer AX72  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello.

I'd like to ask for a help! I am choosing correct wifi devices for my home with two floors. My current devices (mobile, notebooks) really struggle when moving and switching between two routers. 

Here is my idea, the devices are connected with a LAN cable. I often move between the floors so using OneMesh or something like that would be crucial? Because in my current home enviroment, my wifi devices often stay connected to a router with weaker wifi signal and I don't know why. There is only one SSID for both devices on a different channel. So after an upgrade it should be:

1st floor - the main router (probably Archer AX72?), with WiFi 6, USB3 for media sharing, 1 Gbps internet access

2nd floor - second router as an AP (also AX72 or rather some onemesh extender?) for fast Wifi 6 speed OR extender OR only AP??

My question is - am I able to use OneMesh for faster router switching with two routers or do I have to use some extender upstairs? But I need some device with more LAN ports on the 2nd floor because there are some LAN devices as well (XBOX, etc).

Options
3 Reply
Re:The best solution for an uninterrupted wifi between two floors with wifi6, USB3 sharing
2022-10-09 07:39:41

@Blechaluk 

Unfortunately, Onemesh doesn't allow you to connect two Archer AX72s together, check Q10/A10. You can only build a Onemesh network between wireless routers and range extenders, or routers and powerline extenders.

EasyMesh may allow you to build a mesh network using two routers, but it's still under development as stated by Kevin here.

If I were you, I would consider purchasing the Deco mesh system, two or three-pack, which would allow me to build a mesh network between nodes. Note that only Deco X73-DSL supports USB sharing if that is necessary.

If my reply helps with the issue, please click on the arrow pointing upward. If it solves your issue, please click the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:The best solution for an uninterrupted wifi between two floors with wifi6, USB3 sharing
2022-10-10 08:35:45 - last edited 2022-10-10 08:39:18

@Blechaluk The problem is I don't need DSL at all. I just need a standard router with USB3 media sharing, and on the 2nd floor, also a device with 4 lan ports. Can I combine standard router + DECO AP? I am really stuck here and I don't know which device to use. Two routers (which one of them is set to AP) are not functional as good as this deco solution?

Or are there any onemesh range extenders with 4 LAN connectors and which I can connect with router using LAN cable (so it does not act as a slow wifi repeater)?

Options
2022-10-10 18:05:25 - last edited 2022-10-10 20:42:43

@Blechaluk 

As @Liverpool20 mentioned, 2-pack Deco mesh system would be a good solution in your case - like Deco M4 for example.

OneMesh doesn't  support ethernet bachaul - Q5/A5.

Here's how to use your exisitng router with Deco. Here's how to configure Deco in AP mode.

You can use the Deco's LAN port to connect a network swicth and introduce additional LAN ports if needed.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 404

Replies: 3

Related Articles