Ability to setup 2.4 & 5Ghz seperately and choose Deco for a specific device on Deco XE75

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Ability to setup 2.4 & 5Ghz seperately and choose Deco for a specific device on Deco XE75

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-11 16:28:34 - last edited 2022-10-12 11:49:04
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.6 Build 20220804 Rel. 44443

It's really sad to see that there's no option to set up SSID for 2.4 & 5 GHz seperately on DECO XE75 mesh router. 

Also, there's no option to choose a specific deco mesh unit for a phone/tablet. 

These 2 featured are much required. I'm thinking of returning my XE75 as it lacks these 2 featured. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Ability to setup 2.4 & 5Ghz seperately and choose Deco for a specific device on Deco XE75-Solution
2022-10-11 20:01:32 - last edited 2022-10-12 11:49:04

@Sai_R 

If you are not satisfied with Deco mesh features, you should definitely return it while you can. There are many WiFi mesh brands to choose from, no need to stick with one that is not up to your expectations.

Having said that, I would like to make comments to your post.

First, choosing specific Deco for a phone/tablet. If you have phone/tablet that is just few years old - it should figure nearest WiFi mesh unit and roam to it automatically. The point of WiFi mesh is end user should not be concerned where device is connected, as it will connect to best WiFi mesh node. Check this document, its Q&A section at the bottom, for explanations why sometimes device does not connect to best WiFi mesh node available: Get to Know Fast Roaming / Seamless Roaming on a Deco System

Second, separate SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. There is a way to make it work with Deco. Deco has two WiFi networks, Main and Guest. Enable Guest Network and configure each of two with its own band. Example from my home network:

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Ability to setup 2.4 & 5Ghz seperately and choose Deco for a specific device on Deco XE75-Solution
2022-10-11 20:01:32 - last edited 2022-10-12 11:49:04

@Sai_R 

If you are not satisfied with Deco mesh features, you should definitely return it while you can. There are many WiFi mesh brands to choose from, no need to stick with one that is not up to your expectations.

Having said that, I would like to make comments to your post.

First, choosing specific Deco for a phone/tablet. If you have phone/tablet that is just few years old - it should figure nearest WiFi mesh unit and roam to it automatically. The point of WiFi mesh is end user should not be concerned where device is connected, as it will connect to best WiFi mesh node. Check this document, its Q&A section at the bottom, for explanations why sometimes device does not connect to best WiFi mesh node available: Get to Know Fast Roaming / Seamless Roaming on a Deco System

Second, separate SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. There is a way to make it work with Deco. Deco has two WiFi networks, Main and Guest. Enable Guest Network and configure each of two with its own band. Example from my home network:

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Ability to setup 2.4 & 5Ghz seperately and choose Deco for a specific device on Deco XE75
2022-10-12 05:19:22 - last edited 2022-10-12 07:27:01

@Alexandre. Thank you. I tried this already. Keeping the guest network open all the time may be risky. The same was highlighted by the tp-link app's security scan. I wouldn't prefer taking any risk. 

Options
Re:Ability to setup 2.4 & 5Ghz seperately and choose Deco for a specific device on Deco XE75
2022-10-12 11:44:29

@Sai_R 

Guest Network can be enabled without password and security. That will make it flagged by WiFi networks security scan.

Set strong password for Guest Network and enable same security as it is for Main Network (WPA2-PSK[AES] in my example), and your Guest Network will be as secure as Main Network.

Options
2022-10-12 11:48:22

@Alexandre. Yes. that's what I tried. I wish tp-link will add an option to set separate SSID for 2.4 & 5 GHz soon.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 899

Replies: 4

Related Articles