TL-WR902AC V3 Connecting to Hotel Wi-Fi with Captive Portal

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-15 09:19:39
Model: TL-WR902AC  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hello. I am trying to use my TL-WR902AC V3 in Share ETH mode at my hotel. I have followed these instructions to set up the router in Standard Wireless Router Mode: https://www.tp-link.com/us/user-guides/tl-wr902ac_v3/chapter-2-connect-the-hardware#ug-sub-title-2. Per the instructions, the router is connected to the hotel network via Ethernet. Additionally, I have gone through the Quick Setup multiple times - the first time I tried using Auto Detect and the second time I tried Dynamic IP - neither try was successful. During Quick Setup, I am cloning the MAC Address of my laptop, which has already been authenticated to the hotel Wi-Fi through the captive portal.

After going through this process, I am able to connect multiple devices to my TP Link router and the internet connection is stable for a few minutes. After that, the internet stops working and I need to re-authenticate with the captive portal on my laptop before the internet starts working again. This process continues to repeat itself no matter how many times I authenticate.

For the time being, I have turned the router to Access Point mode, which allows multiple devices to connect, but each device must first authenticate with the captive portal. This is not ideal, as the goal of using this router is to bypass the 5-device limit that is imposed by my hotel.

Has anyone encountered this issue before? If so, a potential solution would be much appreciated.

Options
1 Reply
Re:TL-WR902AC V3 Connecting to Hotel Wi-Fi with Captive Portal
2022-10-15 12:48:48

@johnfarese 

Hi,

Can you test if sharing the hotel's Internet connection works if you connect the laptop to the hotel Ethernet and then setup a Wi-Fi hotspot on the laptop, to which you then connect your other client devices? 

If that gave you the same result (need to re-authenticate after a few minutes), then I guess the hotel has implemented a system that is smart enough to detect if people are trying to share the authenticated session between client devices.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2377

Replies: 1

Related Articles