OpenVPN, Local Devices Aren't Visible

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-16 14:04:16
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.11

I have set up OpenVPN and I can connect to it successfully.  However, my local machines aren't visible or accessible while connected.  How do I fix this?

Options
5 Reply
Re:OpenVPN, Local Devices Aren't Visible
2022-10-16 15:33:23

@Marc_G2 

Hi,

What type of machines are they?

If they are smart sockets, smart light bulbs, printers or anything that doesn't have a built-in firewall, then they should be accessible. I have the AX50 myself and there isn't anything to be done other than enabling the OpenVPN server.

However, if we are talking computers or anything else that has a built-in firewall, then the firewall has to be configured to allow access from remote/public clients.

Options
2022-10-16 15:54:54 - last edited 2022-10-16 15:55:07

@woozle 

I'm mainly interested in accessing my windows machine.  I tried disabling the firewall entirely, but I'm still unable to access my share or establish a remote desktop connection

Options
2022-10-16 17:01:36

@Marc_G2 

Have you already tested whether you can access any local devices at all from the OpenVPN client?

What about an IP scan of the address range of the local network?

(in case you don't already have such a software, then maybe try the free Advanced IP Scanner, which can also be run in "portable" mode without installation)

Options
2022-10-16 17:13:37

@woozle 

I'm able to successfully ping everything.  I can ping the server PC by it's IP, but not by it's name.

Options
2022-10-16 18:24:26

@Marc_G2 

I know this shouldn't affect remote desktop, but regarding the share access verify that public folder sharing is actually switched on.

I am not sure what is the default setting, but on my computer it was switched off when I looked.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 242

Replies: 5

Related Articles