Data Only or Phone SIMs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Data Only or Phone SIMs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Data Only or Phone SIMs
Data Only or Phone SIMs
2022-10-17 07:58:28
Model: TL-MR6400  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I've given up on ever getting fibre broadband to our rural UK location, and I've purchased a TL-MR6400 modem, and Poynting XPOL1 omni antenna, but I'm having trouble identifying a data-only 4G SIM. Can I use a conventional mobile phone SIM in the MR6400 ? And if so, do I have to make any changes to the factory setup to get it to connect to, say, Three ? And if so, what changes are needed ?

Many thanks in advance for answers, and I apologise if my questions have obvious answers somewhere, but I've looked at lots of other websites and not found any. Obviously, I'm new to 4G !!

Options
6 Reply
Re:Data Only or Phone SIMs
2022-10-19 03:40:21

@Virgin4gmodem 

Hi, as long as your phone SIM card allows to share internet and no limit for specific device only, it should be able to work on 4G router as well.

And may I know who the SIM card carrier is? and if it is compatible with the MR6400, it will be plug and play after you insert the SIM card into the MR6400, no additional settings required. However, if there is any issue, please share with us screenshots of Advanced->Status page and Advanced->Network->Internet page.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-10-19 09:25:53

Hi  @Sunshine 

Many thanks for the reply and the reassurance. I've purchased a data-only SIM from O2 which I intend to use. It needs activation and the supplier provides a list of APN settings to use with O2, so I'll try those and let you know how I get on.

Options
2022-10-26 09:58:49

All,

I've got a 4G connection with my MR600 and it works well when I access it over the WiFi connection. But I'd like to connect it to my local office LAN and use it as my internet connection. I've tried a few settings but can't find mention of a passthrough mode in the manual. Does anyone have experience of using the MR600 simply as a bridge ?, and if so, what settings should I use ?  @Virgin4gmodem 

Options
2022-10-27 03:15:12

@Virgin4gmodem 

Hi, the MR600 doesn't support bridge mode. Do you mean you would not like to use SIM card anymore, instead, connect the MR600 to an existing router via Ethernet cable?

If so, please refer to the instruction below to configure it as wireless router mode:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2719/

If that is not what you want, please provide detailed network topology that you would like to use.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-10-27 06:52:00

Hi  @Sunshine 

Many thanks. My internet connection currently is via a ADSL line with a (powerful, expensive) ASUS modem which controls 6 WIN computers (Ethernet LAN), 12 SONOS speakers (WiFi), a smart TV (Ethernet), and several iPads and iPods (WiFi). But the internet connection is very slow, so I wanted to get a faster alternative.

I've purchased a TL-MR6400 and an external XPOL1 omni antenna, and set these up with a data-only SIM card. (My last post had a typo - it's a MR6400 not a MR600.)

The TL-MR6400 setup works and I can use it to access the internet via WiFi from an iPad. What I'd like to do now is extend the MR6400 internet connection to all the other devices currently connected via my ADSL line and ASUS modem, and then abandon the ADSL line. I planned to use a short Ethernet cable to simply connect one of the TL-MR6400's LAN sockets to one of the ASUS router's LAN sockets (or the ASUS E-WAN Ethernet socket). I've tried this and the TL-MR6400 doesn't appear on my ASUS router's network map.

Is it possible to extend the TL-MR6400's internet connection in this way, and if not, how can I do so ?

Options
2022-10-27 11:26:03

@Virgin4gmodem 

Hi, it is okay to connect a second router to the existing MR6400 via Ethernet cable, and the second router could use as router mode or access point mode if it supports, but the settings are all on the second router, so if there is any problem with the second router setup, it is recommended to contact ASUS support to set up the ASUS router.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3644

Replies: 6

Related Articles