Mac address i proxy mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Mac address i proxy mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Mac address i proxy mode
Mac address i proxy mode
2022-10-17 17:02:15
Model: TL-WA1201  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello everyone, I wanted to ask if anyone can tell me why in repeater mode, i.e. I use this 1201 as a repeater of an 801, the addresses of the hosts are downstream of the maste and I refer to the tlw 801 have the mac address of 1201. It looks something similar to an arp proxy.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Mac address i proxy mode
2022-10-17 20:54:45

@frankz66 

This is expected behaviour and will happen on all repeaters.  

In short the 1201 is basically the next jump in the chain heading to the clients, the MAC address is usually the one doing the talking to the 801 (the next stop in the network), therefore as the clients are not talking directly to the 801, it doesnt know their mac specifically.   Basically the 1201 is acting as a middle man for the clients, the 801 only knows about the 1201 and not the clients the 1201 is acting on behalf of so sends the data to the 1201, who then re-labels it and moves it on the origional client.

Hopefully that makes sense?

If you want the really detailed answer google "packet encapsulation", however be warned you may regret asking lol

Options
2022-10-18 05:43:59
Ok, grazie per la risposta. In queste condizioni, non è possibile attivare la wake on lan per alcuni dispositivi o computer?
Options
2022-10-18 21:30:58

@frankz66 

Wake on LAN should still work, as the 1201 will rebuilt the packet with the correct MAC address.   The MAC you are seeing is only the next stop on the way to the client, not the client specifically.   

WOL packets are multicast so will be forwarded to all clients universally.

Options
2022-10-19 06:04:20

@Philbert 

Thanks, so you assert that having the mac address even if masked, in the wake on lan phase at the mac address of my interest, it will be translated to reach its destination being an ulticast? It's correct ?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 399

Replies: 4

Related Articles