Deco M4 Devices keep disconecting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-19 10:40:11 - last edited 2022-10-20 21:01:50
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

Hi

i was wondering if i could get some help.

I have Virgin media internet and decided to get a Mesh system and got the 3 pack Deco M4.

Installing was a breeze, it's connected to the Virgin media router (Modem mode) and using the main deco as a router and the other 2 decos as the satellites. The Virgin hub and the 'Main Deco' is placed on the bottom floor, one satellite is on the 1st floor, and another is on the 2nd floor.

Recently i was having an issue with the connection, certain devices just randomly disconnect from the WiFi but then reconnect seconds later. This is proving frustrating at times especially as my wife is working from home and her laptop gets disconnected from meetings. She has an Acer Swift Model 3 (2021)

As well as her laptop continuously disconnecting, our phones are also doing the same. I have a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra and my wife has a Galaxy S21, my mum has a Google Pixel 6, and my brother has an iPhone 13 Pro Max. All the phones are currently using up to date software.

I recently saw another post about a similar issue, and other comments suggested to disable Fast roaming etc. I have done this and some devices of the above devices stopped disconnecting, however the laptop still disconnects and my wife mentioned that she sometimes gets a message on her laptop saying connection is unstable, even though she is sitting next to one of the satellite decos. There's also times when watching Netflix etc on the smart TV then a pop up comes up saying the internet is disconnected then a few seconds later it comes back on again

I initially got the Deco mesh system to improve WiFi around my house but so far its just causing issues.

Can anyone give any information to sort this out?

Thank you

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M4 Devices keep disconecting -Solution
2022-10-19 13:54:57 - last edited 2022-10-20 21:01:50

@Gurry 

I'll give you recommendations below, try them and let me know if they do or do not work for you.

1. The recommendation to turn off Fast Roaming is applicable mostly to old devices such as security cameras, IoT, etc. For laptops and smartphones turning it off has negative effect. For stationary device that might not matter much, but if you take smartphone from the bottom floor to the second floor, it might stay connected to the bottom floor Deco for quite long and ever roam only after WiFi signal is lost, meaning you'll see WiFi connection interruption.

If you believe turning off Fast Roaming helps, you can keep it off, but I would suggest if other recommendations fixed the issue try turning it back on. 

If you have one or two stationary devices that don't like Fast Roaming, turn off MESH toggle for that device, in Deco app. You'll find that under information page of Deco node to which device is connected. MESH is similar functionality as Fast Roaming, but per device.

2. To make sure your laptops and smarpthones stay connected to the closest Deco, turn off 2.4GHz on Main Network. Not only this will improve Internet speed, but it'll make mobile devices connect to closest Deco node faster. Especially, if you have Fast Roaming off.

3. On each of your smartphones and in laptops that support it, turn off "MAC address randomization" for Deco mesh SSID. See this conversation I just had on that topic, post #3, with instructions: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/585482?replyId=1141098

It is a must.

4. In Deco app open information page for each Satellite Deco and check what it says under Signal Source. Example:

If you have less than two blue bars there, if your 2nd floor Deco connects to the bottom floor Main Deco, that might be what causes some of the issues with Internet connectivity. Let me know what you have there, for both your Satellite Deco. If you can make screenshot and post here - that would be even better.

5. "Watching Netflix etc on the smart TV"

If there is Deco unit that is not far from the TV, I recommend moving that Deco unit to TV stand and wire TV with Deco by Ethernet cable. 

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco M4 Devices keep disconecting -Solution
2022-10-19 13:54:57 - last edited 2022-10-20 21:01:50

@Gurry 

I'll give you recommendations below, try them and let me know if they do or do not work for you.

1. The recommendation to turn off Fast Roaming is applicable mostly to old devices such as security cameras, IoT, etc. For laptops and smartphones turning it off has negative effect. For stationary device that might not matter much, but if you take smartphone from the bottom floor to the second floor, it might stay connected to the bottom floor Deco for quite long and ever roam only after WiFi signal is lost, meaning you'll see WiFi connection interruption.

If you believe turning off Fast Roaming helps, you can keep it off, but I would suggest if other recommendations fixed the issue try turning it back on. 

If you have one or two stationary devices that don't like Fast Roaming, turn off MESH toggle for that device, in Deco app. You'll find that under information page of Deco node to which device is connected. MESH is similar functionality as Fast Roaming, but per device.

2. To make sure your laptops and smarpthones stay connected to the closest Deco, turn off 2.4GHz on Main Network. Not only this will improve Internet speed, but it'll make mobile devices connect to closest Deco node faster. Especially, if you have Fast Roaming off.

3. On each of your smartphones and in laptops that support it, turn off "MAC address randomization" for Deco mesh SSID. See this conversation I just had on that topic, post #3, with instructions: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/585482?replyId=1141098

It is a must.

4. In Deco app open information page for each Satellite Deco and check what it says under Signal Source. Example:

If you have less than two blue bars there, if your 2nd floor Deco connects to the bottom floor Main Deco, that might be what causes some of the issues with Internet connectivity. Let me know what you have there, for both your Satellite Deco. If you can make screenshot and post here - that would be even better.

5. "Watching Netflix etc on the smart TV"

If there is Deco unit that is not far from the TV, I recommend moving that Deco unit to TV stand and wire TV with Deco by Ethernet cable. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco M4 Devices keep disconecting
2022-10-19 20:27:06

@Alexandre. 

Hi,

Thank you for your reply and information.

So I've reactivated Fast roaming, and turned off 2.4GHz, however a few devices such as the Ring doorbell required it, so I activated the guest network on 2.4GHz only and will use that for the required devices.

I've deactivated Mac Address randomization on the majority of my devices, such as phones and laptops etc and will report on any changes I notice over the next few days

Both of the satellite deco have the same amount of signal and are both connected to the router on the bottom floor

I have thought about implementing that last bit regarding an ethernet to the TV, however it's one of those built in bed TVs, so it wouldn't be ideal.

I'd like to thank you for all the information you gave and hopefully it has resolved all the issues. Will update on the progress.

Options
2022-10-20 12:26:44 - last edited 2022-10-20 12:27:35

@Gurry 

I am surprised your 2nd floor Satellite Deco has strong signal to Main Deco. Usually, one floor is OK but connecting through two floors is often too much for WiFi nodes. Depends on floors material, of course.

I would suggest you check specifically 2nd floor Satellite Deco Signal Source at different times of day, and especially when there is bright sun outside. Solar radiation could impact WiFi signal. If you start seeing one yellow or, worse, red bar instead of 2-3 blue bars, even occasionally, that could be a problem for devices connected to 2nd floor Satellite Deco.

If everything works fine now with your Deco mesh, there is no need to make any changes. Yet, if issues do continue and if you can trace them to devices connected to 2nd floor Satellite Deco, I can give you instructions on how to make it connect to 1st floor Satellite Deco instead of Main Deco. That might decrease Internet speed for devices connected to 2nd floor Satellite Deco, but should improve reliability of Internet connection.

These instructions will only work on M4 that has hardware V4.

Options
2022-10-20 21:01:17

@Alexandre. 

Thanks for the reply. Thinking about it, the devices that drop connection to the WiFi are the ones that are on the 2nd floor. It's mainly when I'm in the room where it's located (bedroom loft conversion) and that's where the laptop is also connected to. Just typing this reply now and the WiFi has disconnected and reconnected twice.

Looking at the Deco app, it's still showing 2 blue bars, but it's showing my phone is connected to the 1st floor deco now. I'm guessing it's disconnecting when switching to a different satellite.

Could you link me to where I can find the instructions to connect the 2nd floor deco to the 1st floor deco? I currently have the V4 models

Thanks

Options
2022-10-20 23:37:32

@Gurry 

TP-Link released beta firmware for Deco M4(V4) that allows to manually select where Satellite Deco should connect: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/581554

You only need to install that firmware on 2nd floor Satellite Deco.

After you have beta firmware installed on 2nd floor Satellite Deco, open its page in Deco app and touch "Signal Source" text. New window will open where you can configure Satellite Deco connection preference. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 554

Replies: 5

Related Articles