Deco X60 rarely uses Ethernet Backhaul

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-20 05:36:59 - last edited 2022-10-27 06:31:34
Tags: #Deco Ethernet Backhaul #Troubleshooting
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.13 Build 20220805b Rel 71570

I have 2 Deco X60 units connect via Ethernet using wall sockets in 2 different rooms. I have short ethernet cable running from port 2 of the Main unit to the wall socket (port 1 is connected to the router of course) and another short cable from wall socket of the other room to Port 1 of the satellite unit.

The satellite unit almost always seems to connect via Wifi Backhaul instead of the Ethernet. It is not a cable connection issue. It connects via Ethernet backhaul, when I turn off everything and turn them back on. But not always.

Is there anyway to know why this is happening? Find out why Ethernet is not being preferred?

Because, the Wifi signal strength is not so great between to 2 units, there are frequent connection drops (Red LED on the satellite unit). When it is connected via Ethernet backhaul, it stays very stable for a long period. It then goes to wireless for some reason and internet becomes patchy again.

PS: There are no switches involved, and yes I have read through the FAQs and some of the posts on the forum related to ethernet backhaul

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco X60 rarely uses Ethernet Backhaul -Solution
2022-10-21 11:22:30 - last edited 2022-10-27 06:31:34

@tecoholic 

If suspect is Ethernet cable, the Master Plan would be to connect either one or both Deco not through that cable directly. This might solve the problem by having device other than Deco negotiate and maintain speed of Ethernet link.

I see two options: using networking switches on one or both ends of the cable, or connecting Satellite Deco directly to the ISP router, bypassing Main Deco. I suggest we evaluate the plan that does not require switches first, and if that does not work or can't be implemented - I'll give recommendations on type of switches to get.

To start with that, I need more info about your home network:

1. What is your Main Deco connected to: ISP modem, or router/gateway? If you can give me its brand and model name, I'll double check. We need it to be the router (not just modem) with more than one Ethernet port.

2. Can you connect Ethernet cable that comes to Main Deco from the wall socket directly to the ISP router instead? Don't do that yet, just tell me if cable length is sufficient for that or any other obstacles with that.

3. As plan requires to connect wall socket cable directly to the router, can you also connect Main Deco with different Ethernet cable to that router?

4. You will need to switch Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode, when we confirm that everything is ready to proceed. Review this document: What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco?

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco X60 rarely uses Ethernet Backhaul
2022-10-20 12:37:26 - last edited 2022-10-20 15:10:38

@tecoholic 

This still could be a cable issue. The cable might be just barely good enough for Decos to establish Ethernet link, and ocasionally they fail to.

You can do two tests to check that theory:

1. If you have laptop or desktop with gigabit Ethernet card, unplug Satellite Deco from Ethernet and plug laptop/desktop to that same Ethernet cable. Check what link speed it negotiated with Main Deco on the other side of that Ethernet link.  

How to check the associated/link speed on a wireless client - document says "wireless client" but first step works on wired Windows computer, too.

This test is not conclusive, but if laptop/desktop negotiates 100Mbps instead of gigabit, that tells there is a problem with the cable. 

If it does negotiate gigabit, repeat few times, by either rebooting computer or unplugging and plugging back Ethernet cable. If at least once it downgrades to 100Mbps, now it is conclusive.

Note, device you use to test this link must have gigabit Ethernet card. Some laptops, even new models, only have 100Mbps Ethernet card. You can't use that for tests, obviously.

2. Bring Satellite Deco to Main Deco, and connect them with short Ethernet cable of good quality. Have Satellite Deco established Ethernet link? If it did, power it off/on and check again. Repeat few times. If every time Ethernet link is established, the problem is with the cable going through the walls of your house.

------------------

When or if you accept that it is, indeed, house Ethernet wiring issue, please reply and I'll discuss possible workarounds wih you. Your Ethernet cable is not completely dead, so with some tweaks and tricks it might be possible to make it reliable link for Deco Ethernet backhaul.

Options
2022-10-21 01:57:51

@Alexandre. Thanks a lot for you very helpful suggestions. You seem to be spot on about the problem being the cabling inside the walls.

I didn't have a Gigabit card computer. The devices I have with ethernet port, there is no way of knowing if they are Gigabit. So, I settled for your second technique of eliminating the Decos as problem points. I connected them and disconnected them multiple time using a short cable directly. Each time the Ethernet Backhaul came back online without any issues.

When or if you accept that it is, indeed, house Ethernet wiring issue, please reply and I'll discuss possible workarounds wih you. Your Ethernet cable is not completely dead, so with some tweaks and tricks it might be possible to make it reliable link for Deco Ethernet backhaul.

This would be great. Kindly let me know what could be done.

Options
Re:Deco X60 rarely uses Ethernet Backhaul -Solution
2022-10-21 11:22:30 - last edited 2022-10-27 06:31:34

@tecoholic 

If suspect is Ethernet cable, the Master Plan would be to connect either one or both Deco not through that cable directly. This might solve the problem by having device other than Deco negotiate and maintain speed of Ethernet link.

I see two options: using networking switches on one or both ends of the cable, or connecting Satellite Deco directly to the ISP router, bypassing Main Deco. I suggest we evaluate the plan that does not require switches first, and if that does not work or can't be implemented - I'll give recommendations on type of switches to get.

To start with that, I need more info about your home network:

1. What is your Main Deco connected to: ISP modem, or router/gateway? If you can give me its brand and model name, I'll double check. We need it to be the router (not just modem) with more than one Ethernet port.

2. Can you connect Ethernet cable that comes to Main Deco from the wall socket directly to the ISP router instead? Don't do that yet, just tell me if cable length is sufficient for that or any other obstacles with that.

3. As plan requires to connect wall socket cable directly to the router, can you also connect Main Deco with different Ethernet cable to that router?

4. You will need to switch Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode, when we confirm that everything is ready to proceed. Review this document: What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco?

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-10-27 06:31:25

@Alexandre. Once again. Thanks for a detailed plan of how to solve this. My primary Deco is connected to the Router given by the ISP, which also has other LAN ports for me to connect the satellite deco to. So I was thinking of going the AP Mode route you mentioned. But the strangest thing has happened. I recently bought a small side table and placed the router and the Primary Deco on it, since then, Ethernet backhaul has been working without dropping even once.

So, not I suspect, it might have something to do with the LAN socket on the wall. The contacts might have been poor when the Deco was in the same height as the socket and now that I have move it higher, the slight pull it creates has the contacts touching properly.

Anyway, things seem pretty stable right now. If they break in the feature, I am going to first, replace the wall socket. If it doesn't work, I am going to switch to the AP Mode as you suggest.

Thank you so much for explaining everything in detail. I really appreciate it. :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1135

Replies: 4

Tags

Deco Ethernet Backhaul
Troubleshooting
Related Articles