Whole home network help - archer ax50 ax3000

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-20 14:23:23

Afternoon all,

First post here and firstly, apologies - a tech expert I am not! 

I couldn't find anything in the forum on this so I'm hoping this isn't something that has been covered already. 

I have a Sky broadband router, new model, with sky ultrafast broadband. Currently my download speed is hovering around 100mb, well short of the 400 that is guaranteed. I was exploring changing the router but I see this is notoriously difficult for sky broadband and after a couple of failed attempts I have reverted back to the sky router supplied..... Which has lead me on to the following;

Can I use my Archer AX50/3000 as an access point if wired by Ethernet to the Sky router - would I see any significant increase in speed as this is supportive of Wi-Fi 6?  And is it just a case of plugging it in and setting up through the app then connecting each device to this network as opposed to the sky one? 

Also - if the network does not significantly improve, would it be relatively straight forward to add a mesh system (perhaps a further 2 units) to this set up to improve further? 

I said - I'm certainly not versed in this so please be as 'simple' as possible with any help you could give me - it would be very very much appreciated! 

Thanks! 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Whole home network help - archer ax50 ax3000
2022-11-21 03:38:48

@VohnJ 

To be honest, I don't think adding an Archer AX50/3000 as an access point to the Sky router will improve the speed, because the Sky router is still the bottleneck for the whole network. No one can exceed the speed it gives to the network.

The best bet will be to look for a router that can directly replace the Sky broadband router (if possible). If you paid for a 400mb plan, Sky should help you find the best router for the bandwidth. What did Sky say?

If my reply helps with the issue, please click on the arrow pointing upward. If it solves your issue, please click the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 76

Replies: 1

Related Articles