Blocking the powerline from home network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-23 13:56:34
Model: TL-PA4010  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

We have a room located far from the main router. A TL-PA4010 is connected to the main router and the powerline. A wifi range extender, WPA4420, is connected to the powerline in the far-away room. So far, so good. It works very well.

The far away room is for guests who need Internet access, but whom I would like to not have access to the home network where my data is accessible. I have searched high and low. There doesn't seem to be any obvious solution.

Any ideas?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Blocking the powerline from home network
2022-11-28 01:49:37

@jaazz 

TL-WPA4220 has guest network and maybe you could try to let the guests connect to the guest network of 4220, not the main WiFi of 4220.

Options
2022-11-28 02:00:20

@Heidi_Alp 

Thank you for the reply. I already did this, but when the extender (the 4220) connects to the main router, it gets access to the Windows 10 home network that is also connected to the main router.

The functionality I am looking for is for the extender to connect to the main router's guest network. However, this can probably only be done wirelessly is what I am thinking.

My solution is to put a password on my Windows 10 network. Slightly inconvenient, but manageable. This way, when the extender accesses the network, it will have access to media servers (mainly Emby), which isn't entirely a bad thing, but not the other data shared on the network (mainly documents).

Options
2022-12-13 11:20:14

@jaazz That would actually be a feature on the main router. Some can dedicate one of their LAN jacks to the guest network, and then if you connect your PLC pair to that, the far end PLC WiFi will also forward to the main router's guest network only.

Options
2022-12-13 12:41:52

@PeterM. Thank you for the reply. I think the conclusion is that the extender won't be able to do it, so what you are saying makes sense. Will look into this. My main router is very much a budget router, so this facility may not be available.

Options
2022-12-15 13:21:29

@jaazz You're welcome.

It's not about whether the PLC WiFi adapter can or cannot do this. The far end simply is the wrong place to do this

Even if you could implement a guest network there, all the traffic would still have to pass through your private network to get there.

Full separation can only happen if you originate your guest network straight at the internet connection.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 447

Replies: 5

Related Articles