Added DECO as AP, now can't find my Printer (MacOS 12.6 Monterey)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-24 15:35:42 - last edited 2022-11-24 18:58:03
Tags: #Access Point Mode #Printer
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.0.2 Build 20220401 Rel. 63997

I recently bought a Deco X20 AX1800 (3-Pack).  I failed to be able to add it as a router as my NowTV device doesn't appear to allow that.  As such, I resorted to adding as Access Points instead.

The Wifi seems fine and has removed those irritating dead spots.  However, I now can't get to the printer I used to be able to via the NowTV router.

The printer is a Brother MFC-5890CN - old but works fine from Windows and used to from my Mac (MacOS 12.6 Monterey). 

Setup is:

• NowTV device is still the Modem and Router.
  • I have a 10-Port Gigabit Ethernet Port connected to the NowTV device (as the NowTV device only has two ethernet ports).
  • The printer is connected to the Ethernet Port via ethernet cable.
  • The Deco is also connected to the Ethernet Port via ethernet cable.

I now cannot access the printer from my macbook.  If I connect to the NowTV router instead, it works.  But with my macbook connected to the Deco, it can't be found. 

I have tried downloading the latest Brother Driver (Sadly they don't support after macOS 10.15 and have no plans to either).  I then reset the printing system on my macbook (basically removes all of them) and re-added the printer.  Again, can't print.  Interestingly, I can add the printer, although I get an error message saying "unable to communicate with the printer at this time".  With the printer added again to my macbook, I can't print with it connected to the Deco.  But connect the macbook to the NowTV router and hey presto, it prints.  I'm therefore guessing for some reason, the Deco can't talk to the printer, even though both are connected to the same router via ethernet.

In addition, my wife's laptop prints fine when she is connected to the Deco Mesh - just my MacBook that won't :(

I'd really like to at least turn off Wifi on the NowTV device and only have the Deco Mesh available.  But if I can't get the printer to work, then I'm going to have to leave both.  Meaning I still have to swap my macbook connecting between the new Mesh Wifi and the NowTV router whenever I need to print something - which is kind of naff.

Any help please!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Added DECO as AP, now can't find my Printer (MacOS 12.6 Monterey)-Solution
2022-11-24 18:57:48 - last edited 2022-11-24 18:58:03

@RubiconCSL 

Ah!  Got it.

I *thought* I had the Deco set up in AP mode.  But checking in the android app, it wasn't.

In the app:

• More (at bottom of app) 
  • -> Advanced
  • -> Operation Mode.

It was set to Wi-Fi Router (which is the default).  I had to change it to Access Point.  Now it simply extends the existing Wifi on the NowTV device and hey presto, the printer appears again.  I guess with the Deco set up as a Router AND the existing NowTV device also set up as a Router, everything was getting a little confused. 

Put the problem down to "a loose nut behind the keyboard" i.e. me!blush

Hopefully, this will help others though.  

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Added DECO as AP, now can't find my Printer (MacOS 12.6 Monterey)
2022-11-24 16:53:46

@RubiconCSL 

Is it possible your printer is configured with static IP address in printer setup? That would be the reason for issues with connectivity.

If you are completely out of ideas, connect printer by Ethernet cable to any available Ethernet port of Satellite Deco. That will make it appear as device connected to Deco mesh and you'll see how Deco sees it (IP address and such). 

Also, if connecting printer to Satellite Deco instead of NowTV fixes printing issues - just keep it that way.

Options
Re:Added DECO as AP, now can't find my Printer (MacOS 12.6 Monterey)-Solution
2022-11-24 18:57:48 - last edited 2022-11-24 18:58:03

@RubiconCSL 

Ah!  Got it.

I *thought* I had the Deco set up in AP mode.  But checking in the android app, it wasn't.

In the app:

• More (at bottom of app) 
  • -> Advanced
  • -> Operation Mode.

It was set to Wi-Fi Router (which is the default).  I had to change it to Access Point.  Now it simply extends the existing Wifi on the NowTV device and hey presto, the printer appears again.  I guess with the Deco set up as a Router AND the existing NowTV device also set up as a Router, everything was getting a little confused. 

Put the problem down to "a loose nut behind the keyboard" i.e. me!blush

Hopefully, this will help others though.  

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 346

Replies: 2

Tags

Related Articles