Router is working fine but I cannot access the router settings after setting off DHCP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Router is working fine but I cannot access the router settings after setting off DHCP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-25 20:24:18 - last edited 2022-11-26 22:33:22
Model: Archer C5  
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

I've configuree a Home Network with three Routers. Router One is a Technicolor router, ISP Provider, plus two Archer C5. The Goal is to move around the house seamlessly, with the cell phone changing the router as I walk by. It worked.

Configuration of the two Archer is the same: Connected via Cable to the Lan Port (not Wan), DHCP off, IP Address different from the ISP Router but same SSID.

Problem is that while Archer One allows accessing to the router setting, Archer Two doesn't. I've tracked the problem to the moment I set the DHCP off in the second router. After that change, access is lost from the second router, while the access to Archer One continues to work. 

While this might not be a problem as the Wi-Fi is working well, if I happen to need to change anything in the router, the only way is to reset it, and do the whole configurations again.

Any ideas, of why I cannot access Router Two after setting the DHCP off, while I still can with Router One?

Thanks

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Router is working fine but I cannot access the router settings after setting off DHCP-Solution
2022-11-26 11:30:54 - last edited 2022-11-26 22:33:22

@Leo63 

If the Archers have a dedicated operation mode "Access Point" then optimal configuration is to use that mode (Case 1). Thus you'll avoid the double NAT in your network.

In this scenario you should connect the two Archers to your ISP router with their WAN ports.

Because you don't have access to your ISP router and check its DHCP server pool, better use 192.168.0.253 and 192.168.0.254 for LAN IP address on the Archers (assuming ISP router has got 192.168.0.1 as a LAN IP address).

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Router is working fine but I cannot access the router settings after setting off DHCP-Solution
2022-11-26 12:51:00 - last edited 2022-11-26 22:33:25

@Leo63 

In addition to the information provided by terziyski I'd like to add the following.

Since the Technicolor router has the IP address 192.168.0.1, all other devices within its LAN network also need to have an IP address in the format 192.168.0.* 

If the Technicolor's LAN IP address is 192.168.0.1, the first Archer 192.168.0.2 and the second Archer 192.168.1.1, then the Archer with the address 192.168.1.1 would not be accessible. This is normal and just the way this networking stuff works.

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Router is working fine but I cannot access the router settings after setting off DHCP
2022-11-25 21:58:04

@Leo63 

So, if we make a specific example just for illustration purposes, let's say the Technicolor's LAN IP address is configured as 192.168.0.1, the first Archer C5's LAN IP address is configured as 192.168.0.2 and the second Archer C5's LAN IP address is configured as 192.168.0.3. 

The Technicolor router is the one within your network that has its DHCP server activated and on both Archer C5 the DHCP server is disabled.

Now, if you browse to http://192.168.0.2, then the router settings page of the first C5 is displayed, but if you browse to http://192.168.0.3, then no webpage is loaded.

Is that what is happening?

Maybe verify again that the address pool of the DHCP server on the Technicolor router does not overlap with any of the LAN IP addresses that you have manually assigned to the Archer C5 routers, as this could potentially result in another client device being assigned the same IP address, which would cause an address conflict.

Options
Re:Router is working fine but I cannot access the router settings after setting off DHCP
2022-11-25 23:16:31

HI  @woozle, that's exactly the situation. Indeed that was the situation on the first attempt. I mean, .0.1, .0.2 and .0.3 for each router. However, as the third router brings an original IP address of 192.168.1.1, I try not to change the address as it was already different from the other two. And the problem persists. I also tried another IP addresses and nothing.

And about the suggestion of checking the IP pool on the Technicolor, I cannot do that as it is the ISP's server and I don't have the Password. The only thing I know is that the IP address for the ISP router is 192.168.0.1 because, once typed, it displayed the login page.

Options
2022-11-25 23:20:48

@woozle . On top of the previous post, maybe is worthy to add that I didn't change the Router Operation Mode of the Archer. Should I change it to Access Mode? It didn't prevent the network to work, and before I got two Archers, I only got one, and work perfectly with full access to settings page.

Options
2022-11-26 11:30:54 - last edited 2022-11-26 22:33:22

@Leo63 

If the Archers have a dedicated operation mode "Access Point" then optimal configuration is to use that mode (Case 1). Thus you'll avoid the double NAT in your network.

In this scenario you should connect the two Archers to your ISP router with their WAN ports.

Because you don't have access to your ISP router and check its DHCP server pool, better use 192.168.0.253 and 192.168.0.254 for LAN IP address on the Archers (assuming ISP router has got 192.168.0.1 as a LAN IP address).

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
2022-11-26 12:51:00 - last edited 2022-11-26 22:33:25

@Leo63 

In addition to the information provided by terziyski I'd like to add the following.

Since the Technicolor router has the IP address 192.168.0.1, all other devices within its LAN network also need to have an IP address in the format 192.168.0.* 

If the Technicolor's LAN IP address is 192.168.0.1, the first Archer 192.168.0.2 and the second Archer 192.168.1.1, then the Archer with the address 192.168.1.1 would not be accessible. This is normal and just the way this networking stuff works.

Recommended Solution
Options
2022-11-26 22:26:02

Hi @terziyski, I've changed to Access Mode both routers and after some struggle (don't even know what I've done differently the first attempts), access to both routers is now enabled!. Regarding the IP assignment, the access mode also turn on the "Smart DHCP" setting and the IP addresses were automatically assigned. 0.90 and 0.45 for the first ans second router respectively. Thanks!

Options
2022-11-26 22:33:00

HI  @woozle  I swear that, as I said in earlier messages, I had set the addresses to 0.2 and 0.3 the first time....  But anyway, is working now, as I explained already to  @terziyski.

So, thanks both. working perfectly now. The cell phones, changes the router link effortlessly and I can access the setting page on every router. (except for the ISP one..)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 639

Replies: 7