How to configure double router and keep Onemesh?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-26 01:00:23 - last edited 2022-11-26 04:47:22
Model: Archer GX90   RE700X  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Current/newest

Here's the full story guys

I recently got Verizon fiber. The service is blazing fast, as expected. Unfortunately to have the speed I'm paying for, I need to have my gaming router as a second router in wired piggyback fashion to their router. If I don't, my upload speed tanks hard

This was tested on the Speedtest app. You can see by the time stamps, but I'll clarify just in case. The 2 at the bottom is without their router with just the Archer, and the 2 at the top is with the Verizon router and the Archer plugged into that. This is of course based on the testing environment of the app and some other websites test higher with fluctuations involved, but you get the idea

If I have them piggyback like this I have long loading some websites or to log in to games, particularly ones that require authentication. This leads me to believe that the piggyback has some interference on secure sites when a login is involved

I have the Verizon router with all of its wifi radios turned off. Of course a simple solution might be to just flip the Archer into access point mode, but then I'd lose my mesh. I'm looking for help configuring the two so they don't have a conflict

Thanks in advance for your time 

Options
6 Reply
Re:How to configure double router and keep Onemesh?
2022-12-01 00:17:28
Anyone?
Options
2022-12-01 01:53:25 - last edited 2022-12-01 04:15:44

@Leki 

One way to have Verizon device along with Archer and OneMesh running is to set Verizon device in bridge mode/IP passthrough (if possible).

Thus your Archer will be your main router, you'll avoid a double NAT (Verizon device would be in bridge mode) and keep using the OneMesh.

Another approach would be using both devices in router mode introducing double NAT, but keeping OneMesh running.

In this scenario I would disable both features in HomeCare section of the Archer GX90 (QoS, Antivirus) and in Security => Firewall => SPI Firewall.

Here's (Case 3) how to disable QoS in Archer GX90.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-12-01 02:16:20 - last edited 2022-12-01 02:17:26

@terziyski 

May as well unplug the Verizon router at that point and remove it from the series, since it won't be seen by Verizon tech support and be rendered useless for this particular use case. My fios app won't see it either. I'd lose over half my upload speed I'm paying for

I'm looking a solution that keeps the Verizon router operating for the purpose of them being able to run diagnostic and receiving the speed I'm paying for (if it is removed I have about 3/4 of speed or less according to speed test and other testing sites), but otherwise not negatively impacting the Archer as its currently doing

It causes long logging in to some sites, or they hang entirely. I can switch to mobile data (primarily a mobile phone user but I have a laptop) to log in then enable Wi-Fi again and keep playing

Options
2022-12-01 21:36:58 - last edited 2022-12-01 21:47:18

@terziyski 

Sorry I was kinda dead at the time and didn't read the second part. What if I instead try to disable fireball and qos on the Verizon? Will that remove the double NAT?

Is there a way to just turn off NAT on the Verizon? Should I? Is this inadvisable? I saw this setting on my archer, so maybe it will be good to just disable that on the archer

Options
2022-12-01 22:59:23 - last edited 2022-12-06 22:43:54

@Leki 

I can't help with the Verizon router settings. Double NAT is not necessarily a bad thing.

Why don't you try my second suggestion - both devices in router mode, all settings done on the Archer to check if any difference.

If that doesn't help, you can try only Archer with the same settings you've done, but removing the Verizon from the series.

Not sure what would happen if you disable Archer's NAT (OneMesh would probably need it), but you can try that as well, if former doesn't help.

If you decide to listen to Verizon suggestion you could buy a Deco system and run a mesh network even in AP mode, thus solving all those issues.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-12-02 01:47:17

@terziyski 

I want the Verizon router to be functional and available for diagnostic purposes, but not negatively impacting my Archer and mesh. If it's bridged Verizon cannot see it, so they cannot diagnose connection problems with their remote tools. I don't need an access point or repeater, since I have my extender. I may as well just unplug it and not have it in series if it's bridged 

I want my Archer to be my primary router, making mesh with my extender. I've been told oh, just bridge or unplug the Verizon router entirely, but as I've explained Verizon can't diagnose if it's bridged or unplugged. The problem is if I unplug or bridge, I don't receive the full connection speed I'm paying for. The Verizon router must be in the system and functional, or my upload speed drops according to speed tests

Verizon has suggested I unplug and return my Archer. Why would I get rid of the better router? On the other hand, I also can't get rid of the Verizon router

Isn't there any way to have the Archer be the primary but with the Verizon not negatively impacting my Archer but also getting the full speed I'm paying for?

On the other hand, is it possible that speed test is actually inaccurate with Verizon fiber and I am actually getting the speed I'm paying for? As far as I'm aware the speed is only correct if the Verizon router is there in series, but if it's inaccurate and the speed is actually there then I'll remove the Verizon and only connect it when I need to have diagnostic done

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 542

Replies: 6

Related Articles