Fast Roaming

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Fast Roaming

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Fast Roaming
Fast Roaming
2022-11-28 17:36:31
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Can anyone please explain any of the following.

As fast roaming by default turned off what is the purpose of it.

I still have fast roaming turned off but as I walk around the house with my mobile phone the Deco App shows it changes connection to the nearest Deco so what is the difference to this and fast roaming ?

I have a 3 Deco M9+ system all setup in access point mode. The main Deco is connected by ethernet cable to the ISP router, the second Deco connected by wireless in a another room approx 8m from the first and the third Deco connected by wireless in a further room approx 8m from the second Deco, Looking at the Deco App is shows the second Deco is connected to the main Deco with a "fair" signal and the third Deco is also connected to the main Deco with a "weak" signal.  Why is this as I would have expected the third Deco to connect to the second Deco and not the main one.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Fast Roaming
2022-11-28 21:33:34 - last edited 2022-11-28 21:34:32

@Hawklord 

Fast Roaming is discussed in the following TP-Link FAQ article: Get to Know Fast Roaming / Seamless Roaming on a Deco System

Fasr Roaming should have been turned on and it should stay on unless some old device connected to Deco mesh can't handle it. In my set of Deco M9 Plus I bought new and configured myself Fast Roaming was on from the beginning and I keep it on.

-------------------

It is known issue of Deco nodes preferring to connect to Main Deco, instead of forming daisy chain. There are good reasons for that: each connection hop cuts WiFi speed by about half. Still, Deco node could be too overzealous and hold its link to Main Deco even if that link is of poor signal quality. TP-Link acknowledged that and started to release firmware that allows user to manually configure Deco node connection preference.

For Deco M9 Plus, there is beta firmware 1.6 which will allow you to configure your third Deco to connect to second Deco. You only need to install that firmware on your third Deco. It can be found here: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/574954

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 8722

Replies: 1

Related Articles