VLANs / Multi SSID with WA1201 - Wifi not connecting for VLAN ID other than 1

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-11 20:47:59 - last edited 2022-12-29 09:53:36
Model: TL-WA1201  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.10.0 Build 220118 Rel.36469n(4555)

Hi all,

I'm quite new to this kind of setup, but for the life of me, I spent hours on this already and can't seem to figure it out, so I'm hoping a kind soul here can help me out. 

I'm trying to setup a network at home with 4 different VLANs: a private one, one for my company which is in the same building, a guest network and a separate VLAN for IoT. Each VLAN shall get its own WiFi network (and corresponding SSID). 

In order to do that, I'm using 3 TL-SG108E switches and 2 TL-WA1201 access points for wifi. I believe the setup of the switches went ok (I followed explanations on this site and in the manual, mostly, and it appears to work, at least for the parts I already tested), but when I try to setup the APs, things get messy. I did manage to get 4 different SSIDs (actually 8, considering 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bandwidths), but if I change the VLAN ID corresponding to the SSID, none of my device seem to manage to connect. They do connect however if I keep them configured on VLAN 1, which is the default VLAN... but doing so would, in my understanding, defeat the very purpose of having VLANs in the first place. 

There must be something I'm doing wrong, but I really can't figure it out. Any idea ? The setup is as follow (and switch config screens attached below): 

• Switch 1: 
    • Port 1 - Router (VLAN 1, Untagged)
    • Port 2 - Switch 2 (VLAN 1, Tagged)
    • Port 3 - Access Point 1 (VLAN 1, Tagged)
    • Next ports in different VLANs for private and IoT (untagged)
  • Switch 2: 
    • Port 1 - Switch 1 (VLAN 1, Tagged)
    • Port 2 - Switch 3 (VLAN 1, Tagged)
    • Port 3 - Access Point 2 (VLAN 1, Tagged)
    • Next ports in different VLANs for private and IoT (untagged)
  • Switch 3: 
    • Port 1 - Switch 2 (VLAN 1, Tagged)
    • Next ports in different VLANs for private and company (untagged)

Switch 1 config:

Switch 2 config:

Switch 3 config:

Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Benibis

Options
4 Reply
Re:VLANs / Multi SSID with WA1201 - Wifi not connecting for VLAN ID other than 1
2022-12-12 02:15:05

@Benibis 

It would be a good idea to post your WA1201 VLAN settings as well.

Go through this example for using VLANs on TL-SG108E and then review/double-check your switches' settings.

If you can't find any misconfiguration on your switches go through this thread and check if there's something similar in your case.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:VLANs / Multi SSID with WA1201 - Wifi not connecting for VLAN ID other than 1
2022-12-12 09:39:58

@terziyski Thanks for your quick answer. 

First link is one of the examples I followed to create my switches setup, I do believe I got it all right (but feel free to point any mistake that I may have missed). 

Second link I also saw, but my hardware version is v3, so the beta version linked in there won't apply. Some official from TP-Link also mentioned in that thread that v3 shouldn't be affected by the issue anyway. 

Below is my setup for the APs (both are exactly identical). If you need other screens, let me know. 

... and so on for the other 2 VLANs. 

Changing the VLAN value to 1 makes it possible to connect to the corresponding SSID, but as I said before, I doubt this is the fix I want :)

Thanks!

Benibis

Options
2022-12-15 06:57:21

Hi!

Anyone with a suggested solution, please? I'm still blocked and can't figure it out...

Thanks in advance,

Benibis 

Options
2022-12-29 10:34:45

@Benibis 

Hi, Personally I think you might need to tag port 1 one switch 1 that is connected to the router, instead of leaving it untagged.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 795

Replies: 4