Preferred Connection possible

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-19 10:23:36 - last edited 2023-01-20 09:14:30
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20210204 Rel. 50164

I found a question about the option to a preferred connection. Is this something I can set in the App, or in the Web UI? I have a Deco in the Attic that is connecting to my main Deco in the Hallway on the Ground Floor. While I do also have a deco satellite on the first floor (BedRoom) connected through an Ethernet Cable. When the Attic satellite is directly connected to the Bedroom Satellite the connection is three to four times faster and more stable. But somehow it is always reconnecting to the Hallway Node directly through Wifi. 

If there is a setting that I can 'force' the Attic Node connect to the Bedroom node; that would be brilliant

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Preferred Connection possible-Solution
2022-12-19 12:33:17 - last edited 2023-01-20 09:14:30

@Rednax 

As of today, preferred connection is available for the following Deco models:

Deco M5
Deco M9 Plus
Deco M4(hardware V4)
Deco X50(hardware V1)
Deco X55(hardware V1)

Here is document that describes how this feature works for Deco models that support it: How to select a preferred signal source on the Deco App

Consider returning Deco X60s if you can, and replacing them with Deco X50/X55.

If not, the only workaround currently available is to rearrange your Deco nodes, by moving Main Deco and Attic Deco as far away from each other as possible, so that Attic Deco will have no choice but connect to the First Floor (Bedroom) Deco.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-01-19 15:24:23 - last edited 2023-01-20 14:44:03

@Rednax 

This feature, when available for Satellite Deco, is configured through the app. The process is described here: How to select a preferred signal source on the Deco App

I may have good news for you: it is possible that TP-Link now has beta firmware for X60 with "preferred connection" feature that they share by request. See this forum topic: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/595992

A different feature is discussed there, but for any other Deco model beta firmware it goes hand to hand with "preferred connection." So, just ask for it in private message, as suggested in that forum topic and ask if "preferred connection" supported, too.

As for Deco X50/X55 that supports this feature, see this forum topic: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/584954

To check the TP-Link product firmware version, see this document: How to find the hardware version on a TP-Link device

I can't tell if that feature will work in mixed Deco mesh. By common sense, it should, because the only thing you do is tell single Satellite where to connect. That does not require all satellites to have same feature, logically.

Unfortunately, at least in some cases, with beta firmware, it weren't so. A user can select where Satellite Deco should connect, the feature is available, but trying to save that choice returns some cryptic error message. Perhaps, it is just beta firmware glitch, but who knows.

Which means, first step would be to see if X50/X55 does have that feature with its firmware, and you can find if it does after adding that X50/X55 to Deco mesh.

If you see this option in Deco app, the feature is present for X50/X55. To find if it'll work with Deco mesh you have, make change to where Satellite X50/X55 should connect and try saving that change. Only then you'll find for sure if it works or not for your Deco mesh.

Yes, it is that cumbersome, unfortunately.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
2022-12-19 12:33:17 - last edited 2023-01-20 09:14:30

@Rednax 

As of today, preferred connection is available for the following Deco models:

Deco M5
Deco M9 Plus
Deco M4(hardware V4)
Deco X50(hardware V1)
Deco X55(hardware V1)

Here is document that describes how this feature works for Deco models that support it: How to select a preferred signal source on the Deco App

Consider returning Deco X60s if you can, and replacing them with Deco X50/X55.

If not, the only workaround currently available is to rearrange your Deco nodes, by moving Main Deco and Attic Deco as far away from each other as possible, so that Attic Deco will have no choice but connect to the First Floor (Bedroom) Deco.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Preferred Connection possible
2022-12-19 14:27:43

@Alexandre. Thanks for you response. I could not find this information. I am not able to return my X60 anymore: so let's hope this feature will come to the X60 via Firmware upgrade in the near future  ("Note: Some Deco models will support this feature via firmware updates in the future.")

Options
2023-01-19 13:49:31

@Alexandre. Two follow-up question as I'm considering to add an X50 to my network and put that in the Attic. The idea is that I can then use the 'Preferred Signal Source' to connect the X50-Attic  to X60-FirstFloor Bedroom. Two concerns I have:

1. You said X50 (Hardware V1) is supporting this: How do I check that the X50 I purchase supports 'Preferred Signal' so is hardware Version1? 

2. I read somewhere that the Deco App might not support all features when you have multiple Deco Satellites. Would this option on the X50 be available when it's in the network with X60's  and the Main Deco is an X60? 

Thanks in advance, Xander

Options
2023-01-19 15:24:23 - last edited 2023-01-20 14:44:03

@Rednax 

This feature, when available for Satellite Deco, is configured through the app. The process is described here: How to select a preferred signal source on the Deco App

I may have good news for you: it is possible that TP-Link now has beta firmware for X60 with "preferred connection" feature that they share by request. See this forum topic: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/595992

A different feature is discussed there, but for any other Deco model beta firmware it goes hand to hand with "preferred connection." So, just ask for it in private message, as suggested in that forum topic and ask if "preferred connection" supported, too.

As for Deco X50/X55 that supports this feature, see this forum topic: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/584954

To check the TP-Link product firmware version, see this document: How to find the hardware version on a TP-Link device

I can't tell if that feature will work in mixed Deco mesh. By common sense, it should, because the only thing you do is tell single Satellite where to connect. That does not require all satellites to have same feature, logically.

Unfortunately, at least in some cases, with beta firmware, it weren't so. A user can select where Satellite Deco should connect, the feature is available, but trying to save that choice returns some cryptic error message. Perhaps, it is just beta firmware glitch, but who knows.

Which means, first step would be to see if X50/X55 does have that feature with its firmware, and you can find if it does after adding that X50/X55 to Deco mesh.

If you see this option in Deco app, the feature is present for X50/X55. To find if it'll work with Deco mesh you have, make change to where Satellite X50/X55 should connect and try saving that change. Only then you'll find for sure if it works or not for your Deco mesh.

Yes, it is that cumbersome, unfortunately.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-04-22 21:11:31

@Alexandre

Hello,

Will the preferred connection feature be available for X90 and X95?

Or is it already available in current beta fw for X90 and X95?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 779

Replies: 5

Related Articles