LAN connectors do not appear to work on MR500

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-22 15:20:50 - last edited 2022-12-23 01:18:33

Hi,

The new MR500 arrived a couple of days ago,  the wifi is fab and all was good,  however my PC is connected via a LAN cable.  If I plug the cable in,  there are no happy lights on the PC connector and the LAN/PC connection display on the MR500 just flashes every so often.

I have an older TP link router MR6400 and if I put that in place (same cables etc..) then it comes up with a happy LAN/PC connection on its display and the happy lights on the PC almost instantly come on.

I thought there must be an issue with the LAN connectors so arranged for a replacement MR500 device and low and behold it suffers from no connection via the four LAN ports.

Why don't the LAN ports work on either MR500 ?  It literally is just a cable from the router to the PC,  and all four ports work on the old MR6400.

Any help or advice as I dont really want to send the second MR500 back.

Many thanks

James

Options
9 Reply
Re:LAN connectors do not appear to work on MR500
2022-12-22 23:21:44 - last edited 2022-12-23 01:18:33

@JamesC 

The possibility that two devices in a row are deffective is very low.

To locate where the issue is, you can:

1. Use another good quality ethernet cable to connect your PC to MR500 LAN port (if there's one in the MR500 box use it)

2. Use another computer (laptop or PC) and connect it with an ethernet cable to the MR500 LAN port

Observe your MR500 LED status to check the result:

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2022-12-23 13:16:39 - last edited 2022-12-23 13:19:50

@JamesC 

Hi terziyski

I had used the cable supplied with the two routers,  plus the cable that was connected to the old router.  The LAN indicator does not come on constantly it flashes very intermittently i.e. its off for about five seconds and then flashes,  and then off for another five seconds.

As I said there is no problem with the cable or NIC on the PC using the existing MR6400.

Getting another PC would be problematic to test,  but I guess I can try.

Question if you can answer what has changed between an MR6400 and an MR500 on the LAN ports,  in their default configuration (I cannot adjust the MR500 as I cannot connect to it via the PC).

Many thanks

James

Options
2022-12-27 08:41:33

@JamesC 

Hi,

May I know if all the 4 LAN ports are having the same issue on MR500?

Please remove all the other connections, only connect a PC to the MR500 via Ethernet cable, if problem still exists, please login the web interface of the MR500 via WiFi, then check operation mode of the MR500 on Advanced->Operation Mode page.

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
2022-12-29 13:47:39

@Sunshine 

Hi Sunshine,

To confirm all four ports on both Archer's behave the same,  whether I connect the LAN cable to my home PC or works laptop.  I have used the LAN cable provided.

On either PC or Laptop there is no immediate negotiation visible in Network settings for the NIC's when you plug the other end into the Archer,  the only visible thing that happens is that the PC / Lan connection indicator on both Archer's flashes momentarily ON,  and then stays off for 2 seconds and then flashes on again.

Options
2022-12-29 13:48:45

If I plug the older TP Link 6400 in,  then you do see an immediate negotiations visible in the Network settings for the NIC's on both PC and laptop and the pc / lan connector indicator on the router comes on solidly.

Options
2022-12-29 13:50:50

In the system logs on the Archers there are only Information level notices about DNS resolve succede,  I have checked that it is set to log "debug".

I have applied the latest windows 10 updates and checked the firmware version on the Archers is the latest.

I have been through the NIC configuraton on both PC and laptop and cannot see any difference from it and there default settings,  have adjusted numerous settiings and set back to detault again,  all with the same results i.e. no connection to Archer's but connection to the old 6400.

Do you have access to an Archer ?  If so if you connect via the LAN what do you see ?  From an engineering perspective I would have to assume the LAN ports are not operational on both Archers.

Many thanks.

James

Options
2022-12-29 13:52:11
I tried to copy the information level log about DNS in the body of the text above but it would not let me then post my message, hence the multiple responses.
Options
2023-01-16 15:01:41
So for anyone's benefit, the reason that the MR500 will not talk to an onboard NIC is that it requires a 1G NIC, in the auto negotiation phase if it cannot determine its connected to a 1G NIC it will not work. Its a shame as I wanted to use the MR500 but not prepared to change my home PC for it. Am now reluctantly using another manufacturers router.
Options
2023-01-19 02:51:11

@JamesC 

Hi, thanks a lot for the update.

The MR500 LAN ports are 10/100/1000 Mbps LAN Ports, so normally it should work with 100Mbps NIC as well.

Did you try to change your PC NIC from auto negotiation to 100Mbps only for a try?

In addition, may I have some information about your wired NIC on your computer? We will run more tests to see if the issue can be reproduced on our end.

If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 479

Replies: 9

Related Articles