Problem establishing Ethernet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-30 21:58:51
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.0. Build20220513 Rel 53966

I needed to extend my WiFi coverage at home. I bought three TP Link Deco S4s to set up a WiFi mesh. 

I already had a BT Smart Hub 2 which provided reasonable WiFi coverage and an Ethernet connection, via power line adaptors, to my upstairs office PC and a NAS. All worked well save for the limited WiFi coverage. 

The S4 set up was straightforward. I wanted to keep the Smart Hub 2 as my router so l put the main S4 into access point mode. The WiFi network seems reasonably stable and l’ve keep WiFi on the Smart Hub switched on since the TP Link app reports overlap is low. 

The problem came when trying to re-establish the Ethernet connection between my BT Smart Hub and my office PC and NAS. Thinking it would be a breeze I plugged in everything as it was before adding the S4s but all l got was an error message “unidentified network, no internet connection”. 

Try as l might l’ve not been able to crack the problem though l’ve spent far too much time trying ! I turned off Smart DCHP under Access Mode in the TP app thinking that might be conflicting with the Smart Hub router but it seems to have made no difference. 

If anyone far smarter than me has any helpful suggestions to get a working Ethernet connection from my Smart Hub l’d be very grateful. As l say prior to setting up the S4s the Ethernet connection worked fine. Puzzled ! 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Problem establishing Ethernet connection
2022-12-30 22:32:26

@Tom65 

Please do two things:

1. Power off and disconnect Deco units from your home network: rollback to what you had before adding Deco. Does everything work now as it used to? 

2. Draw network diagram with switches, powerline adapters, router, PC, NAS and how you want Deco units to be connected - and share it here. That may help to understand potential issues and will assist in giving recommendations.

----

I do run my Deco mesh in Access Point mode and can't be happier about it. I may be able to use my experience to help you make your Deco mesh work with your home network. In Deco AP mode, there is very small number of things which could go wrong with Deco.

Options
Re:Problem establishing Ethernet connection
2022-12-31 13:26:48

@Alexandre. Thanks. Went back to basics, disconnected and reconnected devices and then added the Decos. Thankfully everything now seems to work. Happy New Year. 

Alexandre. wrote

@Tom65 

Please do two things:

1. Power off and disconnect Deco units from your home network: rollback to what you had before adding Deco. Does everything work now as it used to? 

2. Draw network diagram with switches, powerline adapters, router, PC, NAS and how you want Deco units to be connected - and share it here. That may help to understand potential issues and will assist in giving recommendations.

----

I do run my Deco mesh in Access Point mode and can't be happier about it. I may be able to use my experience to help you make your Deco mesh work with your home network. In Deco AP mode, there is very small number of things which could go wrong with Deco.

Options