Alternative to VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Alternative to VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Alternative to VPN
Alternative to VPN
2023-01-01 14:20:21
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Is it possible to use Deco Mesh as an alternative to VPN? I have Deco Mesh units set up in my UK home and they work like a dream. I have a home in France and we used to be able to get Sky services as a result of having a multi room account and additional Sky box with registered card in our French home. Sky no longer offer this service and in the UK our Sky service is now via broadband rather than satellite.

We have a VPN Service in France but Sky are wise to this and block access. Would it be possible to use Deco Mesh and assign a UK IP Address to fool Sky into thinking we are accessing from UK rather than France? I am not particularly adept at networking so if this is possible I would either need idiot proof instructions or remote assistance which I would be happy to pay for.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Alternative to VPN
2023-01-01 14:57:25

@Gilgamesh62 

Hey

While this would be possible, it would require more hardware than just the Deco can offer. 

The Deco really just handles the WiFi and LAN side of this, its not a VPN or Internet device, if you wanted to spoof your entire France network as being in the UK then you would need to have a VPN between your Home in the UK and France, basically they would be one big network via a VPN.   While this is possible, its more into the Omada range of hardware (business grade) and not something Deco could achieve on its own.

Thinking out loud, you would need at least 2x ER605 routers, one for each side and these would talk to eachother over a VPN you create.   Your UK Home would be the VPN server, and the France house the VPN client, sky should not block this as its a personal VPN.    You could then attach whatever Deco you fancy at the France side.  

Options
2023-01-01 17:04:42

@Philbert many thanks for your advice, the personal VPN route sounds promising. I am going to be back in the UK next week and return to France in early February so it is something I could implement pretty quickly. Would there need to be people present at both the server and client locations or could I set things up in the UK and then simply take the client kit out to France?

Options
2023-01-02 11:50:10

@Gilgamesh62 

In theory if you had two internet connections you could set this up at home and just take it with you pre-configured, perhaps borrow the neighbours internet to setup.

Also consider an DDNS setup, personally I use No-IP as its free and works natively with Omada routers.

In short, enable DDNS on the UK router and setup a VPN server of your choice.   On the France router it will only need VPN client setup, connected to your UK router.   As said DDNS is the way to do this as IP addresses may change during your trip, during the VPN setup use your DDNS name and it will always resolve, this will be something like  MyUserName_dot_ddns_dot_net..  excuse the dot bits as it wont let me post an actual address. 

Once the VPN is established, France should pull an IP address from the UK so its one big network in theory.   I would test this first however as totally thinking out loud here  

Options
2023-01-09 15:14:07

@Philbert would you be interested in assisting me with this, I am not a techie person and would probably fail at the first attempt.

I am willing to pay a reasonable amount for technical assistance, if you are interested I can post a job on Fiverr and post the link here for you to respond to. I would want detailed instructions on how to get things set up including what needs to be connected to what and how. I am expecting delivery of a new Sky WiFi router later this month and will be connecting one of my Deco Mesh units to it using an Ethernet cable. You suggested a pair of ER605 routers, are they power hungry? I want to have kit that is as economic to run as possible. When searching for ER605 routers on Amazon and it came up with:

GL.iNet GL-MT300N-V2 (Mango) Wireless Mini Portable VPN Travel Router, Mobile Hotspot in Pocket, WiFi Repeater Bridge, Range Extender, OpenVPN Client, 300Mbps High Performance, 128MB RAM - is this worth considering?

Let me know if you would be interested in helping.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 337

Replies: 4

Related Articles