iPad not connecting via main Wi-Fi - can connect to guest network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-05 14:59:48 - last edited 2023-01-08 12:51:32
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 build 20220609 Rel 51734

Hi, 

I've just installed an X20 mesh for my parents, and everything can connect except for an iPad.  

I think the X20s are V2, just based on the app showing internet speed test option which I see is only on V1/V2 units.  Is there another way to see what version they are?  

On installation I switched off the Wi-Fi from the router and have given the Deco network the same SSID and password as the old network.  Everything connects except for this one iPad.   Any ideas?  

Do i need to put the Deco into Access Point mode?  I see by default it's in Wi-Fi Router mode. 

Thanks, 

Andy

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:iPad not connecting via main Wi-Fi - can connect to guest network-Solution
2023-01-06 13:54:22 - last edited 2023-01-08 12:51:32

The iPad has now had the same issue with the guest network, dropping off then not joining again (wrong password).  

I've changed the network security type to WPA/WPA2 and it can connect fine.  I've turned fast roaming off too and will monitor for a few days. 

If this is stable I'll try enabling fast roaming on the network and turning "Mesh Technology" off for this device, i expect that should work.  

Shame i can't use more secure system but i guess this will be sufficient for a domestic network.  

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:iPad not connecting via main Wi-Fi - can connect to guest network
2023-01-05 21:48:49

@Sparky1uk 

Hey

Im not fimiliar with the X20 specifically but have used other Deco ranges and had this issue, hopefully its the same one you are having!

Thinking it could be the wireless encryption type, the X20 is WiFi6 so uses WPA3 SAE.  While this is supposed to be compatible with WPA2 devices, had the odd one that doesnt like it.    If possible you could try going into the Wireless settings and changing the security type to WPA2 AES if it will let you do that.   Might solve the issue for you

Else try disabling Fast Roaming, some Apple devices dont like that enabled and refuse to connect cleanly when its on.

Best of luck!

Options
2023-01-06 09:26:43

@Philbert Thanks for the suggestions. 

The main and guest network are both on WPA2 (WPA2-PSK [AES]) security (seems to be default, although i have options for others incluing WPA3), and the iPad connects to the guest network but not the main.  It's reporting incorrect password by the way, not sure if that's relevant.  Its definitely not an incorrect password by the way, and no unusual characters in it.   

I'm popping over today so I'll have a go with the fast roaming next and see what i can do with security to make a difference.  

Options
Re:iPad not connecting via main Wi-Fi - can connect to guest network-Solution
2023-01-06 13:54:22 - last edited 2023-01-08 12:51:32

The iPad has now had the same issue with the guest network, dropping off then not joining again (wrong password).  

I've changed the network security type to WPA/WPA2 and it can connect fine.  I've turned fast roaming off too and will monitor for a few days. 

If this is stable I'll try enabling fast roaming on the network and turning "Mesh Technology" off for this device, i expect that should work.  

Shame i can't use more secure system but i guess this will be sufficient for a domestic network.  

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-01-07 19:30:40

@Sparky1uk 

It does sound like the IPad doesnt like the encryption, is it an older model with an older IOS?

I used to support over 6k IPads in my last job and seen this all the time when a new technology came out, 7 outta 10 times IPads didnt play nice and you had to change something to accomodiate them. 

WPA3 does work on IOS 14+ if memory services me correctly, however WiFi6 also brought things like MUMIMO and Channelling that may not work on some device.  Ive had to switch off MUMIMO more than once to get devices to connect.

WPA2 is still perfectly acceptable for home use, however if you change or replace that IPad then definitely recommend a move back to WPA3 going forward.

Options
2023-01-08 12:50:45

@Philbert 

It's 3 years old, I'm remote but will check the iOS version when I can. It's still connected now and given what's been said I think we found the answer.  Thanks for the help.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 440

Replies: 5

Related Articles