Adding mesh WIFI

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Adding mesh WIFI

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Adding mesh WIFI
Adding mesh WIFI
2023-01-18 12:41:58 - last edited 2023-01-18 15:18:12
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I have three units of Deco X55 whole home mesh WiFi, but in one room the internet coverage is poor due to the thick wall.

I am thinking to add to the existing mesh network Home Hybrid Mesh WiFi System - Deco P9, which uses Powerline Backhaul to create stronger connections between Deco units and eliminate signal interference from the wall. Is it possible to configure a mixed Deco network as follows: Room 1. Main router - Deco X55 > Room 2. Satellite Deco P9 > WALL > Room 3. Satellite Deco P9.

Please, let me know if 2 units of Deco P9s are still capable to use Powerline Backhaul when they participate in the mesh network as the satellite units and the main router dos non support Powerline Backhaul, in my case this is Deco X55.

Thanks in advance!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Adding mesh WIFI-Solution
2023-01-18 14:18:14 - last edited 2023-01-18 15:18:12

@Turmanser 

This should work, but adding P9 which is older model may disable features present in Deco mesh consisting of X55s only. For example, "connection preference" feature will be unavailable if you add P9s to your Deco mesh. 

There is another option: get pair of powerline adapters compatible with Deco and one extra X55. Create Ethernet link with powerline adapters through the wall. Connect powerline adapter in Room 3 to new X55 and connect second powerline adapter to your home network, by Ethernet cable. 

With powerline adapters, the requirement is for them to be on same circuit breaker, other than that you have substantial flexibility where to place second powerline adapter in your house.

Not every powerline adapter is compatible with Deco backhaul. Choosing from TP-Link brand is recommended. Also, I recommend you get powerline adapters that have single Ethernet port. Adapters with multiple Ethernet ports on them have higher chance to be incompatible.

With number of Decos you have, you can test that it works, and speeds, by just buying powerline adapters set, with one of your Satellite X55 you already have moved to Room 3 for testing.

If it works to your satisfaction, then you can buy additional X55. 

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Adding mesh WIFI-Solution
2023-01-18 14:18:14 - last edited 2023-01-18 15:18:12

@Turmanser 

This should work, but adding P9 which is older model may disable features present in Deco mesh consisting of X55s only. For example, "connection preference" feature will be unavailable if you add P9s to your Deco mesh. 

There is another option: get pair of powerline adapters compatible with Deco and one extra X55. Create Ethernet link with powerline adapters through the wall. Connect powerline adapter in Room 3 to new X55 and connect second powerline adapter to your home network, by Ethernet cable. 

With powerline adapters, the requirement is for them to be on same circuit breaker, other than that you have substantial flexibility where to place second powerline adapter in your house.

Not every powerline adapter is compatible with Deco backhaul. Choosing from TP-Link brand is recommended. Also, I recommend you get powerline adapters that have single Ethernet port. Adapters with multiple Ethernet ports on them have higher chance to be incompatible.

With number of Decos you have, you can test that it works, and speeds, by just buying powerline adapters set, with one of your Satellite X55 you already have moved to Room 3 for testing.

If it works to your satisfaction, then you can buy additional X55. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 322

Replies: 1

Related Articles