Latency / Bad Ping Configuration for ER7206

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-21 06:44:09
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.3

Hey, I have a problem with my ER7206 Router and need a little bit help with the configuration.

First I have 3 ISPs. The Main Connection is a 100MBit line over Cable, then I have 2 different ISP for 5G with about 600MBit each. Normaly everything works fine. But several times a day the routers are loosing the 5G connectivity and are switching to 3G. So the latency goes through the roof and the traffic is minimal. But I'm still connected. 

In my opinion, in this situation the router has also to detect an "offline" line and switch it offline. But it doesn't. Before I got the router, I had a Opnsense router. With it I was able to configure, that high latency is also a sign of an offline connection. Is it somehow possible to do the same with the ER7206?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Latency / Bad Ping Configuration for ER7206
2023-01-21 21:38:18

@LL0rd With the 7206 under Omada control, the router can be set to check the connection as ofthen as 1 second.  I don't know if you can have it check that often in standalone mode.  The way it checks the connection, is by sending a ping out the WAN interface, but I don't know if the timeout for dropped ping packet also goes down if you drop the interval down to 1 second.  Mine is set to 15 seconds, and I've seen it not catch dropouts of under 30 seconds, that windows will notice the dropout.

Options
Re:Latency / Bad Ping Configuration for ER7206
2023-01-22 06:49:07

@JoeSea Thank you for your Answer. My 7206 is also configured with Omada. And I also have this "Custom Time" setting set to 15s. But even with this setting, I get problems. First I don't think, that the router will drop the line, if I get a high latency ping back. But with a ping of about 1s, the Line is nearly unusable. You know, with Opnsense I can define what high latency is and when the router is going to consider the line as not usable. That's what I'm currently missing. 

Options