Add wifi 6 box (X20) to M5 network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-26 07:23:31 - last edited 2023-01-28 00:19:25
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there,

I'm using Deco network including both M5 (1 box) and X20 (2 boxes). Currently, I set X20 as main router since I think X20 is more advanced than M5, and I want to utilize Wifi-6 capabilities of X20. However, X20 has no "scheduled reboot" function like M5, so I want to change M5 to main (to get this function). 

My question is: if M5 is set as main, can I still have wifi 6 features when devices connected to X20 (satellite)?

My requirements: 

- scheduled reboot (only on M5)

- wifi 6 features (only on X20)

Thanks, Bang

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Add wifi 6 box (X20) to M5 network-Solution
2023-01-27 14:36:03 - last edited 2023-01-28 00:19:25

@tbang 

Hey

Yes that is indeed correct.   When the X20 is talking to the M5, as the M5 is only WiFi5 that is what will be used, this will be for backbone and management as you say.    However when your iphone connects to the x20, it will connect with WiFi6.   The x20 will switch between the different WiFi versions as needed,

In short.. the X20 will use 6 when it can, and 5 when it needs too.  

Note however the iphone 13 doesnt support the power saving features (TWT), or UL MU-MIMO under WiFi6.. however, this wont affect you in any noticeable way for what you require  smiley

The decos all run on the same channels which it auto selects itself, there is a backbone between the deco nodes for the management which it also sorts itself..   In terms of channel, just let it work away unless its really causing you issues with neighbours interference.

If its not nagging about the M5 then all should be good, personal opinion I would recommend you leave the M5 as the main.  Keep the newer stuff closer to you.   WiFi5 (AC) is generally good for internet speeds up to ~500, thats kinda the peak that it can handle and after that you should go WiFi6 all the way.   You have plenty of capacity left so its not a concern!

Below is the capability of the Iphone 13, supports most WiFi6 stuff in fairness.   While personally not a fan (i support the sodding things daily lol).   I will admit Apple do make good hardware!

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Add wifi 6 box (X20) to M5 network
2023-01-26 11:07:43

@tbang 

Hey

The answer sadly is YES and NO   :)

YES when you are connected to the X20 you will connect using WiFi6, however when data is flowing from the X20 to the M4 it will be a WiFi5 speeds.   Therefore any internet traffic wont get the benenfit of the faster WiFi6 speeds

Is there a specific WiFi6 feature you are referring too?

Options
2023-01-26 15:25:35

@Philbert 

Thanks for quick reply. For wifi-6, I'm interested in capabilities to serve multiple devices in single band, and energy saving at devices side. I expect we have better performance with wifi 6, mostly about reliability. My internet service is cap at 150Mbs, and I don't have heavy file transferred in LAN/WLAN. 

So if the X20 can provide wifi-6 signal, even while M5 is set as main, I will swap the main box to M5, so I can have "scheduled reboot" function.

For back-haul, if I use Ethernet cable (both boxes are 1000Mbps port), can I elimiate the issue of wifi-5 connection between X20 and M5?

Bang

Options
2023-01-26 16:29:58

@tbang 

Hey

I have to honest and say you likely wont notice any difference between WiFi5 and WiFi6 for your use case.  

The multiple device (OFDMA as it is known) and energy saving (TWT) are both features of WiFi6, yes, but they require the client device to also be WiFi6 and fully support these features, from experience its really only the very very top end hardware that will, majority sadly dont.     You are also not pushing speeds through the air that would saturate WiFi5, certainly not WiFi6.   Honestly, until you are pushing 500mb internet or chucking a load of LAN traffic around, you won't notice any difference here regardless of which way you configure this.  

The one exception might be a slightly faster ping response if anyone in your house games online using WiFi6 due to its streams (again provided the device supports).

In terms of cable, yes cable is always better between the nodes, but as you just feeding a 150mb line, its unlikely in throughout terms to make any real difference going via cable.   However its one less WiFi connection so that is always a good thing!

Options
2023-01-27 14:12:07

Thanks  @Philbert 

Can I understand that Deco boxes are only communicating to each other for mesh management tasks, while bands/channels are solely managed by each box? Thus, devices connecting to X20 can utilize Wifi-6, and only Wifi-5 with M5, right? I'm using iPhone 11 and iPhone 13 supporting wifi-6. 

Appreciate your advice. It's true that my workload is so low, then wifi-6 cannot show its advantages. 

FYI, I changed main to M5, and there's no suggestion from App to change back to X20. Last time, when I use both M5 and M4, the App suggested to use M5 as main because I used M4 then. 

Bang

Options
Re:Add wifi 6 box (X20) to M5 network-Solution
2023-01-27 14:36:03 - last edited 2023-01-28 00:19:25

@tbang 

Hey

Yes that is indeed correct.   When the X20 is talking to the M5, as the M5 is only WiFi5 that is what will be used, this will be for backbone and management as you say.    However when your iphone connects to the x20, it will connect with WiFi6.   The x20 will switch between the different WiFi versions as needed,

In short.. the X20 will use 6 when it can, and 5 when it needs too.  

Note however the iphone 13 doesnt support the power saving features (TWT), or UL MU-MIMO under WiFi6.. however, this wont affect you in any noticeable way for what you require  smiley

The decos all run on the same channels which it auto selects itself, there is a backbone between the deco nodes for the management which it also sorts itself..   In terms of channel, just let it work away unless its really causing you issues with neighbours interference.

If its not nagging about the M5 then all should be good, personal opinion I would recommend you leave the M5 as the main.  Keep the newer stuff closer to you.   WiFi5 (AC) is generally good for internet speeds up to ~500, thats kinda the peak that it can handle and after that you should go WiFi6 all the way.   You have plenty of capacity left so its not a concern!

Below is the capability of the Iphone 13, supports most WiFi6 stuff in fairness.   While personally not a fan (i support the sodding things daily lol).   I will admit Apple do make good hardware!

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-01-28 00:19:07

@Philbert 

thanks. Your explanation is very comprehensive and useful.

Bang

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 441

Replies: 6

Related Articles