Phone connected to TL-MR6500v stops working.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-03 18:48:16
Model: TL-MR6500v  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I purchased and installed a TL-MR6500v 4G LTE telephone wi-fi router at my elderly in-laws house as they have never had broadband and I needed to be able to install a Ring Doorbell and monitor it remotely.

This router (with an ID mobile SIM card) does this perfectly allowing access to the doorbell video.

I was also hoping it would also support a digital house phone, but while this works 90% of the time, I'm having issues and need some help from TP-Link Support.

The router has been installed for a couple of months now and in that time the phone that is connected to it has stopped being accessible on three occassions.  By this I mean, when dialling the number of the SIM card in the router, a recorded message indicates the number is not available.  Once this happens, the phone is useless and it is necessary to drive to my in-laws to sort out the issue.

I've found that unplugging the phone from the router, rebooting the router and power cycling the router make no difference; I still get the recorded message when calling the SIM card.  The ONLY thing I can do to fix the issue is to make a call from the phone connected to the router.  Once this call has been made, dialling the SIM card works again i.e. there is no recorded message, and the phone rings normally.

So, it would appear that once the phone "breaks", the router doesn't recognise that the phone is connected to it, even when powering off etc.

I have installed the TP Link Tether app on my android mobile phone in the hope that I might have been able to "fix" the issue remotely, but I can't even get the app to connect to the router, unless I am within wifi range as it says "Cloud Device (Offline).  I did try using the app to reboot the router while at my inlaws and connected to the routers wifi, but like all other attempts to fix the phone issue, this didn't work.

Any thoughts on how to get to the bottom of this?  As it stands, it looks like we will have to revert back to using the BT landline, which will be a real shame.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Phone connected to TL-MR6500v stops working.
2023-02-07 14:21:28

I'm guessing tp-link support don't actually monitor this community, which is a shame as I really want to like this router, but I'm still having issues with the phone, so much so, it has now been plugged back into the BT socket.

Options
2023-02-08 04:01:18

@Milleniumaire 

Hi, regarding the telephony service issue, may I have the hardware and firmware version of your MR6500v? 

Please check if VoLTE is enabled on Advanced->Telephony->Telephony Mode page of the MR6500v web interface, the default telephony mode is on VoLTE but the VoLTE below the mode is disabled by default。

If there is still the same issue when enabling the VoLTE, further debugging will be needed to locate the issue, so please email us via support.forum@tp-link.com, our engineer will continue to follow up the case.

Regarding the cloud service issue, I noticed that you have another post to report it, please provide the MAC address and TP-Link ID via private message, we will check the cloud status accordingly.

Options
2023-02-18 16:19:54

@Sunshine 

I visited my in-laws today (where the router is located) and used the web app to check the Telephony settings and found that although VoLTE was selected, the VoLTE mode was disabled.

I've enabled the VoLTE mode, so will see if this makes a difference.

The firmware is up to date and is at version 1.1.0.0.9.1 v00a1.0 Build 220509 Rel.65700n.

The model is TL-MR6500v.   I couldn't see anywhere that mentioned the hardware version!

Time will tell if enabling VoLTE mode will make a difference to the router "loosing connection" with the handset.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 610

Replies: 3